Updating Class_ep.wad? Blashphemous or good idea?

They are just as good as the originals :)
The_Fish
noob

Updating Class_ep.wad? Blashphemous or good idea?

Post by The_Fish »

Hi All,

Let me throw out a crazy idea which I've toyed with for so long. It's kind of like a little informal poll.

Would it be a good idea to, after so long, update Class_Ep to version 2.0? This would surely break compatibility with every demo out there. However I'm tempted to tweak it to 'perfection'. It's not that great of a wad to play with fast or speed.

I feel that I can change the wad to accompany more styles of play without hurting the max gameplay or feel of the overall wad. I've had a running list of changes I'd like to implement for months. Other changes would include minor architecture changes, better lighting, etc. Also I would take the time to make the wads GL compatible while still having full doom2 exe compatible (glnodes and such).

Overall, most people would feel it's the same thing except those who really put in serious time in gameplay or observing the wad. But it also would disrupt c-n and all it's records...

What do you guys think ?

Would anything justify another release? Or is it said and done and better to move on and stop trying to be a perfectionist?
;-)

Anthony
admin
nightmare

Re: Updating Class_ep.wad? Blashphemous or good id

Post by admin »

Is this like, Star Wars Special Edition? ;D
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

speaking as someone who sweated fecking blood over all those speedrun records: DON'T YOU DARE. :)
--
adamw
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

Well, I haven't heard of any bugs in class_ep.wad, so I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

Hmmm...
Actually, I think a wad shouldn't be released publicly if it isn't finished(or as finished as it's going to be).
but...
I understand where you're coming from.  No harm in having a new version out there that you are satisfied with.  Improvements are improvements, right? Right.  
Perhaps you could name it something else(like FlaytheObscene's re-release was newly-named) to keep it seperate from the current version. (no reason it has to replace the current version)
How about CE_AOTC?  (Attack of the Clones)  :o
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

I think you noticed most of the problems with the wad during our coop sessions right, Anthony?  ;)
The Classic Episode is good as it is, in my opinion. In coop we had to play in a more strategic style because the ammo shortage, but that doesn't mean that the wad is bad, it's more challenging this way, and I really enjoyed the gameplay as it is.
And as AdamW said, there is NO WAY I will redo my demos  :P
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

Adam_H:
No, this is more like Star Wars Boxed set of all 6 DVD's. =)

AdamW:
Strange. It was _your_ comments in those textfiles that really got me thinking about the viability of a new version. A lot of my ver2 notes are based on one line comments you made in irc/textfiles.

Vono:
Xit, you haven't heard of that major bug in Class_ep? Yeah, it appears Xit Vono is not able to create any demo for class_ep. Every time he uploads to /incoming they dissappear. A major bug IMO.... =)

Op:
Well, I wouldn't want spin offs. People are only going to pay attention to one wad/one version. Renaming is not going to do crap.

Waldon:
Yes, a lot of ideas and further motivation came from revelations in our coop session. I thought it played well with the exclusion of the lull in e2m6 -> e2m7. It's definately doable I suppose (hey, we did it), but...

Anyways, I guess the whole reason of a new version was to (and this ties into the other thread I posted in site suggestions) is to create more possibilities. Make speed more viable, etc. I want class_ep to be fully cross compatible. But it seems people have no opinion (AdamH) or just plain disagree (AdamW, Waldon, Xit..)

Anthony
magikal
noob

Post by magikal »

It's a very good wad,and indicitive of its time.It would also make something of a travesty of its name,it is a 'classic',but then again who's anybody to stand in the way of progress?
So maybe the question should be-would updating it be a worthwile progressive step,or would that energy be best spent on something new?
PersonallY I feel updating it would diminish its 'Classic' standing.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

fish: well, see, if you'd *told* me while I was bitching at you about not being able to make any runs that you would make a better version, i'd've gone "ah, cool!" and stopped trying and waited for you to make it. but you didn't, did you? you just let me carry on sweating blood till I had half-decent times, and THEN you sprang the whole new version thing on me. bastard. :)
--
adamw
AltimaMantoid
player

Classic episode?

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Classic episode? What's that? That thing that everytime I go to download it, the website server tells me I'm forbidden from downloading it?

Yeah, I've no opinion, but it'd be rather nice to play the original one first before I stick my opinions in this matter
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

You need to go to Fish's site and download it from there -- they don't allow external links.
http://thefish.8m.com/http://thefish.8m ... _Ep.zipand if the UGO network didn't suck ass, http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=142277 would work too.