Updating the MM tables...

They are just as good as the originals :)
Andy_Olivera
noob

Updating the MM tables...

Post by Andy_Olivera »

This message is primarily for whomever wants the honor of improving Istvan's MM28 demo. His demo has two major flaws(both of which would disqualify it under COMPET-N rules, I believe). He leaves a Sargeant alive in the exit room(easy enough to correct). The other is the lack of 100% Secrets(he misses the lookout tower, sector #233). I only bring this up because MM28 is my all time favorite level and there's no COMPET-N demo for it(Andy Badorek's original demo misses several secrets).

Anyway, keep up the good work, Anthony...
Vile
player

Re: Updating the MM tables...

Post by Vile »

I'll probably have to do something like a max run to learn that level, once I start work on a movie for the third episode.  Learning a speed route would be hell otherwise, so I'll give it my best shot.  :)
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

Thanks for the encouragement Andy.

I checked all maps, and as I complete more maps I reconsider from the remaining maps what interests me. I thought about map28 after looking at Istvan's time. However after watching his demo I see it really is a monster of a map with secrets that are pretty possible to overlook. Also, the route looks to be complex, but it always does until you attempt to run it.

I didn't remember him not getting 100% secrets but I do remember him clearly missing the final seargeant and wondered how Adam could accept that (perhaps he did not pay attention and just assumed everything was 100/100 in that pack).

Anyways, gonna look for a new map to improve soon. I'd like to help drew somehow with his mm movies...there has got to be some tidbit I can find for him. We'll see..
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

The new MM28 is finished, but unfortunately, I forgot to credit Istvan for his run in the text file.  I guess I'll go ahead and do that now..

Thanks for your demo, Istvan, wherever you are. :)
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

Way to kick ass, Drew!!! I never expected a demo this quickly. Shows how much players have improved over the years, I guess. You've got my vote for best demo of 2002. :) BTW, I've a feeling learning a speed route is going to be hell, anyway. My suggestion would be to open it up in your preferred level editor; start at the end and work your way back. That way you'll pass by any switches that may be unrequired(if there are any). Good luck. After you plan a speed route, you'll probably be the only person to completely understand the level, aside from Jens...
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

nice nice.
Man, I feel OLD! :'(
I remember when MM came out, and Andy Olivera was considered young. =P
Now Vile is a Quake3 veteran... and one of the very best Doom players ever.... and he's still a teenager!
It's a chore for me to tie my own shoelaces... :)
AltimaMantoid
player

Age...

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Opulent, you can't be that old can you? I thought you were only your early 20's....and if Vile is still a teenager....does that mean I have hope, I mean, me being 16 after all.... ^^'
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

No doubt Vile did a monster improvement to mm28. A map I would have likely avoided because it's just huge...so a big thanks to Vile for picking that one up. Can't wait to see the XXXXmm21 movie.

BTW Andy, me and Andy Johnsen were discussing your unusual interests. (IE, mm better then mm2). What about mm28 do you find that makes it so particularly appealing? It just looks like a nightmare to play, and visually I don't see anything particularly appealing either. Are you just Jens Nielsen in disguise?  ;D

His maps are always a) large b) complex c) too many secrets
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

MM28 is a highly intimidating map at first glance, but I grew to like it after playing it a few times.  I agree with Fish about Jens Nielsen's maps, though.  He was also the author of MM04 and MM07, two maps I'm not particularly fond of (especially in the movie run.)
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

not that anyone cares, but I'm 34. :-/
not nearly the oldest Compet-N player, but I honestly think youth has a hand-eye response time advantage.

When MM came out, there are a certain amount of pride in designing a bug-free map that was very large.  They were some of the largest maps made to date at that time.  I guess AV would really rock their house if it was available then. ;D
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

Heh, I also just learned I've been spelling "Memento Mori" the wrong way for some time now.  Momento Mori was a tempting spelling, but I'll change that in the future.  :)
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

Ha! I wish I was Jens Nielsen in disguise. Maybe then I could design a few more levels...I'd just written a long attempt at explaining why I think MM is better than MM2. I removed it because I realized I can't explain the difference to anyone else because it's based less on quality than personal preference. If you want to know what I really think about them in detail, read my reviews. Ignore the overview, as that's just me ranting, and pay attention to the comments on the individual levels. Come to think of it, I should just remove the overviews, altogether; it's a holdover from the old days when I didn't comment on each of the levels in detail. Besides, I always end up contradicting myself.:-)

As to MM28, well, that I can explain. The three descriptions you listed for Jens' levels are the very reasons he's my favorite author(with Denis & Thomas Moeller following close behind). I like large levels(from MM2 my favorites are 19, 22, 25, 28, 29), but what attracts me to Jens' work are his intricate layouts and progressions. He makes you pass an area five times, but there's something new each time. By doing this he can fit a huge amount of action into a ridiculously small area(if you open up MM28 you'll notice it's not nearly as big as it feels).

Jens Nielsen was a one-of-a-kind author(most speedrunners would consider this a good thing, I imagine) with a style of gameplay that was, and is, completely unique. I hope this makes sense to somebody...
AltimaMantoid
player

mm14r559

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Meep....

At your convenience Hegyi (no rush, don't worry, whenever you can) could you add my mm14r559 on there? You kinda forgot it on the tables ^_^

Just though I'd point it out, no worries  :)
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
Altima
from hell

Also, something else

Post by Altima »

My hs31 run isn't listed in HR's tables....

^^'  Don't worry about it though, I know you're busy and stuff ^_^
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

Ooh Altima, next time hide your observations even deeper so I might overlook them.</sarcasm>

How about the handy e-mail next time?  ;D

Tables updated.