Next contest

This is where you can get REAL competitive.
admin
nightmare

Next contest

Post by admin »

I thought I'd post the next contest's main idea here, so you can prepare for it while it's being made.

There will be two contests, one on an IWAD with some usual tweak, think previous contests, for those who don't like the other idea.

The other one which I'll start working on immediately, is something I wanted to do since a while.
The WAD is a series of tricks, increasing in difficulty. There would be about 10-15 tricks total. There's all kinds of tricks, tricks which we've done before and even ones which we haven't done before (due to the original levels not having enough possibility). For each trick there's a mega but no other health, so the number of tries are limited.
Each trick is going to be verified to be doable, but doing them in a continuous run is the real challenge and I intend to make it very hard to complete.
However I want to give everyone a feeling of success, so the current format is 1 trick / 1 level, so you can practice each one separately and score times separately. Anyone getting further in the WAD than the others gets first place, regardless of time (so one getting to Trick #7 in 10 minutes is better than getting to Trick #6 in 2 minutes). Once people finish the whole thing it comes down to time.

That's all I want to say about it now.
DashEvil
noob

Re: Next contest

Post by DashEvil »

.... and he wonders why he's my hero. :P
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

If you are going to have two contests, could one be UDoom compatible, and the other Doom2 compatible (so it is fair on those, like me, who only have one of those programs).
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

DooM2 runs about 6.5M zipped. What's the maximum size attachment your E-Mail address will allow? ;D
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

Not sure, try sending the 6.5MB file.
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

It is also available at warez.doom2.net ;)
just kidding!
Honestly, I can post it privately for download.  size doesn't matter.
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

[quote]
Honestly, I can post it privately for download.
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

so, was that attachment too big?
and, ..what about the email as well?  ;)
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

I haven't received any attached file yet, but might it possible to send the parts separately (eg the wad in one zip, the exe in another etc)?
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

> so, was that attachment too big?

Hey, cut me some slack, I only read the board once a day. The file's been sent. Nothing has bounced back, so I assume my server didn't have a problem with it. However, Paul, be warned that once you get a feel for the SSG you won't want to go back.

> and, ..what about the email as well? ;)

Smartass. :P
Last edited by Andy_Olivera on 03.05.2002 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

Andy: I have now received your E-mail with the file.  Thanks.
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

We are so fortunate that id went on to make Doom2.
Paul, you're gonna love it!
lv14-020 and lv07-006 might not be the best place to start watching Doom2 demos though.. but it's too hard to resist. :)
AltimaMantoid
player

Trick WAD contest

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Hehe, about the trick contest WAD....

After seeing lv14-020 and lv07-006 I think we can all agree that Sedlo owns this contest  8)
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

IMO if you can find a legal copy of Doom2 you ought to buy it. My Doom1 and Final Doom are all still pirated :(. I got Doom1 before I was old enough to afford it, and then when I wanted legal copies I just couldn't find them anywhere...been looking for years and years and no luck :(. Couldn't even find that Collector's Doom pack released recently, kept asking local stores and they never had it. Grrr. But you ought to have more luck finding Doom2, it's the most common one to see available. And it won't be that expensive.
--
adamw
Erik_Alm
noob

Post by Erik_Alm »

I have legal udoom and doom2 copies.. never been able to find final doom in any store though, so I pirated it a while back.