Rating and comments

COMPET-N chit chat
fx
nightmare

Rating and comments

Post by fx »

What do you think about demo rating and comments. For example, when you click on demo/file you would be taken to new page instead of downloading demo itself and there you would be able to rate demo from 1 to 5, leave comment and see more stats (like total downloads). Of course that would be available only for registered forum users to prevent abuse.
vdgg
champ

Re: Rating and comments

Post by vdgg »

I am against ratings.
First, I don't think I would give the lowest score (1) to any demo, even something very slow, like rr041235 is, or was an achievement. If you think someone's demo is shit, go and beat it :)
Second, I know (download # at doomworld) that the world is unfair, some of my demos I don't care about were popular, other which I'm proud of, were watched by 2 people maybe. Ratings would make these feelings stronger.

But: I like the comments idea and total dowloads statistics idea. I think I would comment many demos, old and new.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

I had the same thought about ratings few hours later after my post. It's a record, right, so it's a bit stupid to rate it low.

One thing that is bad with download stats is public directory. If we want to have proper stats than I'd need to disable public listing and implement some alternative. Hmm, maybe I could parse logs... well, I'd like to implement comments first, just have to think how to do it :)

I'm almost done with new hi-score calculation (it's now like 100x faster and includes fast, respawn, tyson movies if any), still some bugs so don't report until I announce it's completed: http://doom.com.hr/index.php?page=compe ... base1&hs=1
Only ALL page is implemented, IWAD/PWAD/Country/Continent were not changed. I think I'll be able to catch all bugs today / tomorrow and wrap it up with COMPET-N update this week.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

100% agree with vdgg on ratings, and comments would be nice but I personally don't think it's worth the effort to implement -- but if you think differently, of course go ahead.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

I found one neat comment system and think it will be easy to implement it. But, yeah if I found it too difficult I'll leave it as it is now :)
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Ok, basic stuff is implemented, please test as much as possible. Your data from forum is used, so you just have to be logged in, select demo and post comment. If any error arise, please take screenshot if possible and send it to admin@doom.com.hr.
It was super easy to implement this, took me few hours so I'm really happy it turned like that. I hope you will all enjoy it!
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

I've got another idea and implemented it :) When you hover "download" demo's txt is shown. I just tested one txt for now, have to extract all txt's: http://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=c ... e=lv01-005
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

I like this very much!
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Hovering map name will show map image like in database. Still need to extract rest of the maps.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

I've extracted TNT and Plutonia today (maps and txt files) and MM/MM2 txt files, so now all IWAD's are completed. Report any missing txt.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

I've implemented some basic download stats but only for demos downloaded from database. If you don't like it please report so I can revert it back since now it's a bit slow to download more than one demo.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

Please wait 3 seconds to download the file. Do not refresh the page!
Considering how many demos I download a day sometimes, this could get quite annoying -- especially considering that it takes me to another page.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Well, let's see how it goes for a month. I'll lower waiting time to 1 sec and see if I can load page you were before. It's "impossible" to track downloads without separate page.
ps. I've also added a link you can click to go to the "first/back" page, hope this helps.

pps. Ok, I've even "blocked" direct downloading from public compet-n (except admin section). Will see how all that goes.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

fx wrote:ps. I've also added a link you can click to go to the "first/back" page, hope this helps.
I like this, thanks!
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

From today comments user data is directly linked to forum data. For example if you subscribe for notifications, and then change email in forum it will automatically send notifications to new email address. Same is for avatar, website, username and other data.