Invisible Weapons and Monsters?

Configuration, files, setup.
dotherightthing
from hell

Invisible Weapons and Monsters?

Post by dotherightthing »

I'm new to DooM demos, and have run into a little (actually sort of big) problem.

Demos work fine, and I have Ultimate Doom (doom.wad).
BUT weapons like the BFG 9000 and plasma gun are invisible!  It's like I'm using a shareware wad, but I know I'm not because I can play all 4 episodes.  Also, some monsters are invisible, but the blood wounds are visible when they are being shot.

I am using prboom to play the demos.

It's probably just something dumb, but I'd really appreciate some tips.
Opulent
player

Re: Invisible Weapons and Monsters?

Post by Opulent »

lots of variables here.  Can't say I've ever seen that.
Prboom crashes out (AFAIK) if it cannot find a resource...
things to try:
1) an earlier version of PrBoom (like 2.02).
2) verify that your Iwad is the correct size; perhaps you have modified some of the lumps.
3) delete your prboom.cfg file.
4) try eternity (another source port)
5) try glboom.exe instead of prboom(opengl renderer)
6) perhaps specifying the Iwad is necessary in the command-line: eg. prboom -iwad doom.wad -playdemo n1m4-001
gl.
dotherightthing
from hell

OK. I tried eternity and glboom, and there's no change.  A curious thing to note is that the "invisible" weapons are not quite invisible.  I can see shadowy transparent outlines of where they are supposed to be located.

I found that the invisible weapons are visible in episode 3 and 4 demos.  However, in episodes 1 and 2, they rarely show.

And the "invisible monster" turns out to be spectres.:P  Stupid me, I guess that's what happens when you're a n00b.

I hope there's no such thing as invisible special weapons in the game too?  (I know what the invisibility powerup does, so it's NOT that.)
dotherightthing
from hell

Problem solved, I found my old 486 machine and took the WAD off there.

Thanks for helping out a dumb n00b.

Have a happy 2oo6!