30plmax trouble

Configuration, files, setup.
powas
noob

30plmax trouble

Post by powas »

I've been trying to watch the 30plmax demo from Vincent Catalaa for a little while now. I tried it on the Doom95 launcher, even though that rarely works for any demo longer than one level. I also tried several versions of prBoom, from 2.2.3 up to 2.3.1 with no success. I went as far as to borrow a friends old computer that was still running windows 98, installing my original copies of Doom2 and Final Doom on it, and putting the demo on that. The trouble is this:
When I tell Doom2 to load the plutonia file and to play the demo, it tells me the demo is for the wrong game. It can load just the wad file and it will let me play plutonia no problem, but when I give it both the -file and -playdemo parameters together it doesn't work. Any advice? or am I just screwed?
Grazza
noob

Re: 30plmax trouble

Post by Grazza »

OK, you need to be sure that you have an unmodified plutonia.wad. Reinstalling from the original disks (as you have done) should ensure this.

It sounds like you might have been trying to watch it with Doom2.exe version 1.666 (that would explain the "different game version" message). You can patch this up to version 1.9 by using the freely available patches, which you can get here. This patching process makes changes to both Doom2.exe and Doom2.wad.

If you want to watch it with Prboom, then you need to use plutonia as a pwad, not as an iwad (because that's the way Vince recorded this one). The command line would be:

prboom -file plutonia.wad -playdemo 30plmax

The program also needs to find your doom2.wad. If all these files are in the same folder, then it should all work no problem.
Last edited by Grazza on 13.12.2005 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
powas
noob

Post by powas »

Well, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to let you know how they work out.
powas
noob

Post by powas »

Well I tried it on prboom again, and it told me it couldn't add the plutonia wad. On a more recent version of prboom, it tells me Iwad not found. I also tried patching my old version on the other computer, to little avail. After patching it, whenever I go to launch from dos it tells me something along the lines of "indeterminate game mode". It does this even when I'm trying to launch just doom2, same as it does with plutonia. When I simply click on the icon for the .exe though, it runs doom2 with no problems. I tried to drag and drop the plutonia wad, but that gives me the same error as launching from dos gets me.
Am I doing something wrong, or am I just out of luck?
Grazza
noob

Post by Grazza »

Make absolutely sure there is a copy of doom2.wad, plutonia.wad and 30plmax.lmp in the same older as your prboom.exe. Personally, I'd just stick them all in c:\\doom2
powas
noob

Post by powas »

They're all in there. Does it matter what version doom2.wad I have in the prboom folder? I only have the patched one on the other computer where I installed the original exe, on the computer where I have prboom I'm getting my wad files from the collectors edition of Doom.
Let me know if you think that would make the difference, or if you can think of anything else. Either way, thanks for the efforts so far.
Grazza
noob

Post by Grazza »

I've just tested that, and I don't believe it should make any difference. The whole thing played back OK with the 1.666 iwad rather than 1.9.

Just to clarify, I used:
prboom-plus 2.2.6.23 (though I don't imagine the version is too critical - possibly anything from prboom 2.1.0 might work)
plutonia.wad
doom2.wad version 1.666
and the command line:
c:\\doom2\\glboom -file plutonia.wad -playdemo 30plmax

In general though, it would make a lot of sense to have version 1.9 if you plan on watching demos.
Last edited by Grazza on 17.12.2005 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
powas
noob

Post by powas »

I got another chance to fiddle around with things the other night, and I think I figured out what the problem was. Trying the version you suggested didn't make a difference, and then it occured to me that the problem might be with command prompt, and not the demo or wad or anything like that at all. So I tried simply control-clicking both plutonia and the demo, then dragging them onto glboom. Worked like a charm, and I suddenly felt like an idiot.
Still not sure what's wrong with the other computer, but I suppose it doesn't really matter now.
The demo is a great joy to watch, very well done. What I'm dying for now is to see who does it next.