PrBoom and demo recording

Configuration, files, setup.
Viper-X
from hell

PrBoom and demo recording

Post by Viper-X »

Hey again. :)

I have been thinking of recording a demo for C-N, most likely nothing major, but it'd be fun to contribute to the site I've been watching for so long. :)

So, I have a question about recording. I have gotten myself Windows XP a while ago, and normal Doom lags like hell on XP if I have the sound turned on. And no fun to play without sound. So, I have to use PrBoom to be able to play like I used to. Now, is it allowed to record demos using PrBoom and not the original files? As you might know, PrBoom has got that compatibility mode that makes it exactly like the original, and the demos made by using that mode seem to work perfectly on the original too. This is the only option I've got, so, is it allowed? To me it seems like it shouldn't make a difference what engine you use if the demos work in the same way, so it might be more of a moral question. Well, what do I know. Let me know, so I hopefully can start recording. :)

Thanks. :)
admin
nightmare

Re: PrBoom and demo recording

Post by admin »

Now, is it allowed to record demos using PrBoom and not the original files?
No.
Viper-X
from hell

Post by Viper-X »

Heh, that's too bad.
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

Not familiar with XP, though if it's in the same boat as Win2k I wouldn't expect a solution outside of having a dual install with win98 as a secondary OS.  If you're willing to do that to record, though, is the question. :)
Grazza
noob

Post by Grazza »

I've tried various things, with no luck. Only disabling sound seems to work.

Actually, PrBoom's "complevel 1" doesn't play exactly like Doom2.exe (even apart from the odd bug/feature it doesn't emulate correctly). With complevel 1, every time you should get a GF50 gametic, it actually gives you a GF49 gametic (therefore a 1-2% reduction in running speed) - you'll see that if you check your lmps with LMPC.
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

The best solution (and what most people prefer) is the Win9x dual-boot / separate computer. Since you can't LAN/Zone otherwise anyway it's a reasonable choice.
Szymanski
noob

Post by Szymanski »

:(

There are utils that allow dos games to play sound under XP or 2k. I haven't managed to get one to work though (they still lag).

When im running the original exes I use the pc speaker option, it's terrible (tho very nostalgic) but it does the job.

It's unlikely a dual boot will work if you're running XP, unless you made sure the drive is fat32 I don't beleive win9x systems will run on it.
myk
noob

Post by myk »

[quote]
Not familiar with XP, though if it's in the same boat as Win2k I wouldn't expect a solution outside of having a dual install with win98 as a secondary OS.
Last edited by myk on 10.07.2003 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Never_Again (Guest)
from hell

Post by Never_Again (Guest) »

Well, "flawlessly" is probably an exaggeration, but it's decent enough not to remind you of a visit to the dentist's =). I still boot into Win98 for recording
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

the DOS emulators I tried under WinXP are not very good...
the best way is like the other said... get hold of win98 as dual boot or separate computer. Or just play w/o sound under XP.

If you hear some people saying that Win98 crashes on high end machines... just tel em they are morons... because it works (at least with 98 Second Edtion, Win95 for sure crashes).
I heard these kind of arguments from people in PC shops... but they want to sell WinXPs so they will say any kind of crap to sell it.  ;)
Spooky
noob

Post by Spooky »

If you hear some people saying that Win98 crashes on high end machines... just tel em they are morons... because it works
They might not be morons if they're talking about large amounts of memory. I'm not sure at what point Win98 starts having trouble but it happens with 768MB and I don't think it happens with 512MB.

To fix this problem you change or add the MaxFileCache value under [vcache] in the system.ini to 524288.
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

most new machines I seen Win98 on did not have over 512 megs of
Last edited by VinceDSS on 10.03.2004 03:50, edited 1 time in total.
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

512 megs.
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

I could actually get sound running under XP.
I used VDMsound and a little program to patch doom(2).exe called CLI2NOP.
The sound is not very good but it's not as laggy as just XP.
I also noticed some alternances of slowdown / speed up which are breaking the rythm and rather annying.
denizen
noob

Post by denizen »

There is an alternative to dos emulators.Getting actual dos,I use freeDos(www.FreeDOS.com).What I do is I just put all the doom stuff in a folder in windows c:\\freedos(I believe you may have to put freedos in this folder also).Then I use the freeDOS bootdisc to boot in dos then I can acess all my doom stuff via c:\\freedos.
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

can it read 2k/XP NTFS hard disk partitions ?
denizen
noob

Post by denizen »

Unfortunately no, it reads these formats as non-dos
Last edited by denizen on 30.06.2004 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

I don't want to ruin my HD and all the data on it by trying to add a new partition.
All my CDs and apps stayed in France, if I lose it all, I am fucked.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

if you have any unpartitioned space on the drive, creating a new partition is near-100% safe. i wouldn't risk resizing a partition in your situation, though.
--
adamw
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

well, the HD is 100% full unfortunately.
Though I have another HD that Doug gave me (full of neat Doom stuff).
If I could find a way to plug it on my laptop (USB, PCMCIA or firewire) I think it is FAT32. So I could eventually toss Win98 there. But I don't know if AC97 sound chip has a SB16 compatiblity....
bill carson
from hell

Post by bill carson »

i have a problem
i don't understand how to record "movies" (demos with saving) using prboom 2.2.4 or how to create movies from several lmps.
How can i record with saving in the same lmp file ?

thx (and excuse my poor english) :-[
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

The Compet-N is not the place for this question, but....
Assuming you are using the modified version of Prboom, the usage.txt and a.bat file explain everything you need to know.  Hand me down a whiskey.
bill carson
from hell

Post by bill carson »

thx opulent !

you're right, it's not the right place for this but it's the right topic on the forum.
Don't worry, i won't post any of my demos on compet-n if they were made with anything but the original doom.
I have so much respect for the great players of compet-n, all the compet-n demos are amazing !!!!

thx again  ;D