I need a little help.

Configuration, files, setup.
Yahtzee
noob

I need a little help.

Post by Yahtzee »

Well first off as far as the Doom series goes I am not hardcore, this is mainly due to the fact that I never had the chance to play much of this game back in it's hayday-hell I didn't even have a computer until around 1999.  Anyways whenever I tried to use the record a demo feature for Ultimate Doom it would always load a black screen and then crash saying the demo has been recorded.  Is there a certain file(s) that I am missing?
Vile
player

Re: I need a little help.

Post by Vile »

All I can suggest is not pressing the Q key while recording a demo, since that will become the key to kill a demo once you start.  Does it allow you to play a little before crashing?
Yahtzee
noob

Post by Yahtzee »

It doesn't allow me to play at all.
Last edited by Yahtzee on 05.08.2002 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

I've played for Compet-n for almost a year now, but I enjoyed single player a bit before then, going through the megawads a few times with savegames.
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

Are you using Doom95(Doom for windows95)?
at a command prompt:
doom -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -record yahtdemo
then see if you can play it back...
Can you record Doom2 demos?
How do you playback Vile's demos?
Yahtzee
noob

Post by Yahtzee »

Are you using Doom95(Doom for windows95)?
at a command prompt:
doom -warp 1 1 -skill 4 -record yahtdemo
then see if you can play it back...
Can you record Doom2 demos?
How do you playback Vile's demos?

I have Doom 95 for windows 95.  The problem isn't with being able to play it back, it won't properly record in the first place, that is, it never allows me to play.

I can view the demos done by others just by saving the file in the Doom folder and then selecting it at the play demo section (I can watch everyone elses runs but can't record my own).:-(

By the way in one run (nightmare ep 1 map 3) I saw someone do an instantaneous 180 degree turn-is this done through some other extra program?
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

first: all Compet-N demos are recorded with the real game -- doom.exe or doom2.exe (not doom95)
(just so you know)
second: you can record with doom95, but not with the GUI.
launch the game with the -record -warp etc... commands and it will record for you.
I'm not sure if you need to SYNC the GUI with the command-line parameters (skill level, map, etc..) besides the pwad additions...
there is a snap-180 config cheat for DOOM, but most mousers don't need such things. watch Xit slink around in nightmare -- he doesn't need config hacks to assist his play.  I'm not saying you're wrong, just that if someone used it, they didn't need to.
good luck recording!
Yahtzee
noob

Post by Yahtzee »

[quote]
first: all Compet-N demos are recorded with the real game -- doom.exe or doom2.exe (not doom95)
(just so you know)
second: you can record with doom95, but not with the GUI.
launch the game with the -record -warp etc... commands and it will record for you.
I'm not sure if you need to SYNC the GUI with the command-line parameters (skill level, map, etc..) besides the pwad additions...
there is a snap-180 config cheat for DOOM, but most mousers don't need such things. watch Xit slink around in nightmare -- he doesn't need config hacks to assist his play.
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

1) doom.exe/doom2.exe IS the game. period. everything else can be manipulated or acts differently. We want to compete on the same grounds that Widlake did 7+ years ago...
only demos recorded with the real game are allowed at the Compet-N... officially anyway.
2) What OS do you use?  WindowsXP?
email me for info on how to use command prompts and shortcuts... I don't have much NT/2000-OStype experience; but I'm sure we can get it working.  opulent@cox.net
note: if you aren't going to be recording for the Compet-N, I would recommend Prboom2.2.x over that pos they call Doom95.  =P
3) as for deathmatch, I'd try the Doomworld newsgroups, the doomserv/legacy/vavoom/etc.. peoples, and the #nightmare #monstars channels for that.  In short, yes they do. :)
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

me, nightmare? HAHAHAHAHA
heh well I guess I'm not too bad but nightmare is one of my worst cats.  I'm used to the plain old UV monsters.
myk
noob

Post by myk »

By chance, looking at files in the idgames archive I came upon this file I link below, which is a patch that fixes the doom95 demo recording problem from the launcher. I did test it; it works. I never use doom95 myself, even if i wanted to: for some reason it draws spectres as violet yellow masses on my computer! But it sucks anyway since demo recording is different and the gfx have been deformed to fit the standard windows size (320 x 240, etc.) Not to mention it has no novert support...

[ftp]ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgame ... m95fix.zip[/ftp]

(EDITED: FTP link)

The silly people at the Activision user help page are unaware of the patch, and never inform about command-line parameters although they are supported by doom95... I might inform them later if I don't get lazy. Also, it annoys me to know they distribute the DOOM Collector's Edition without the DOS EXEs... how are people supposed to get the EXEs for Ultimate DOOM and Final DOOM (since the normal doom2.exe is freely available with doom19s.zip, the DOS shareware, at the idstuff dir in id Software's ftp and the mirrors at the idgames archive as doom.exe)?

Wouldn't it make sense to post the two EXEs for anyone wanting to record for Compet-N that has payed for the Collector's Ed.? It's unfair for them not to get these two EXEs these days, when all sorts of ports (and the standatd doom/doom2 v1.9) are freely available. It's not like they didn't fit in the CD!
Last edited by myk on 09.08.2002 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
from hell

Don't name your demos ExMx.lmp!

Post by Brett »

I know this is an old conversation, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I had the same problem and installed the patch and everything worked fine for recording demos for Episode 1. But recording demos for other episodes always failed on playback. I finally discovered (buried) in the text files on the Doom CD a little sentence that made all the difference:

Note: DO NOT name your LMP demos ExMx.LMP, or they will *NOT* work.

I had been naming my demos ExMx.lmp which seems to work ok on Episode 1, but not for the later episodes.

Anyway, maybe everyone already knows this, but just thought I'd share.
myk
noob

Post by myk »

Yeah, actually they don't work for any episode, or any DOOM II map. They are recorded and all, it's just that when reading the demo lump it conflicts with the map header lump.

It isn't that demos with E*M* or Map** names are disallowed in the code somehow, but that you can't playback a demo named like the map being loaded by doom. Thus a demo called E1M2 running on E1M1 would actually play back correctly (although if you were to reach the exit and enter E1M2 it would crash trying to load that map, since the E1M2 lump is being used to load the demo info instead of as a map header.)