Keys

Configuration, files, setup.
Opulent
player

Keys

Post by Opulent »

What is your current control setup?  and have you ever drastically changed it?
Mine is:
Forward: LeftShift  Backwards: Z  Run: S  Strafe_left: LeftCtrl  Strafe_right: LeftAlt
Strafe_on: RMouseButton  Turn_left: A
In the OLD days, I used to use the arrow keys.  :)
I envy those who can reach the number_keys with their fingers while playing.

I know I could look over the profiles, but I'm lazy...
Jonathan
noob

Re: Keys

Post by Jonathan »

I'm still using the classic WSAD configuration, with joybspeed 32 for autorun.   Its not perfect but I've played with it for too long to be arsed changing it now.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

been using WASD ever since I copied it off Xoleras six years ago. :). I use my forefinger (usually resting on D) to get the weapon keys, though reaching 7 is a strain. The other slightly odd thing I do is use control for a run key - I don't use shift, or even autorun. However, when I need to use strafe50 I set control to do it one direction and use autorun. Space opens things. My old keyboard config was interesting...I used the number pad, 8462, with 7 and 9 for strafing and 5 for open. I've never seriously changed it, though I have various modified versions for other games, especially Quake3 and Counterstrike.
--
adamw
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

The WASD config is rough... mainly because it is hard to get a 'feel' for where you are on the keyboard.
Very interesting Adam.  :)
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

I used the default key setup as a keyboarder (96-97). But, you don't wanna see any of that ;)

My cousin showed me mousing in 97, and he was using WASD, hence I use WASD ever since.

I agree ESDF gets you closer to the '7' key but I don't think a little longer stretch is a disadvantage.

Oh yeah and joyb_speed 29 (works in UDOOM, DOOM2, FDOOM).

WASD is also comfortable because you can hit "Q" pretty easily (I think I never pressed it by accident).
999cop
noob

Post by 999cop »

Vanila Doom2.exe
e = forward
d = backward
s = step left
f = step right
r = turn left
ctrl = turn right
mouse1 = attack
mouse2= step strafe
space = use/open
Always run mode : On

Zdoom Additional
t = talk
v = showscores

*Could anyone tell me if there is a table of numbers to all the control keys for the vanilla doom2.cfg, I set my config. a long time ago and messed it up. Ever since then I didn' really concern about it anymore. Well, now does anyone have the key to it?
Screw it, screw you, screw Quake!
Oyvind
noob

Post by Oyvind »

Nice topic
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

Well, i might be a bit weird but i'm actually used to 2 key config...
one for the doom serie games (doom1&2/fdoom and heretic/hexen)
A = sr left, S = sr right
Z = backward Shift = run
Alt = sr50
Space = use
right mouse button = foward

the other config is for all other games such as Serious Sam, Quake X or UT.
it's the common WASD config.
I can play doom with this config but i don't feel as comfortable as with the
previous one, even if WASD allows more playability.
(for ex. some backward strafings aren't as easy as with WASD)
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

ESDF, since I had to realise on a Doom DM tournament in school that my usual RDFG doesn't work - it was a painful surprise. Also joyb_speed 29 and W for strafe on + turn right, space for use.
Last edited by Waldon on 16.11.2001 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
deathz0r
noob

Post by deathz0r »

i'm probably going to be called an idiot by at least one person, but i still use the default doom2.exe keys. for dm with source ports, i use t for talk and \\ for showscore.

all i need is low ping. it sucks living in australia with a terrible cable isp.  ::)
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

DW: If time has proven anything, it is that there is no 'right' way.  WADS, or some close variation thereof, is certainly the most common among skilled Doomers, but some players have _very_ unusual keymappings.
some use the keypad and some even use the default keys...
The setup that I find interesting is where the players use the mouse buttons as +forward.  to me, that is really strange.
lastly, I guess I'd add that some of the best players ever are keyboarders.  (okay, I think all the fastest players are mousers, but besides that...) that amazes me that players can be that much better than me without using a mouse.  weird.  :)
Ryback
noob

Post by Ryback »

Well, if anyone's interested in the control config of a pure keyboarder:

Numpad 8 = forward
Numpad 2 = Back
Numpad 4 = Left
Numpad 6 = Right
Numpad 1 = StrafeL
Numpad 3 = StrafeR
Ctrl = Fire
/ = StrafeOn
. = Use (Don't ask)

And autorun set in the config.  This setup makes it very easy to get strafe50, that's all I use the dedicated strafe buttons for. Plus you can select the rocket launcher by pressing Numpad 5: sometimes this is helpful, sometimes not :)

And deathz0r: you get cable? Where do you live?
deathz0r
noob

Post by deathz0r »

one hour drive south-east from melbourne, in a small city called cranbourne. it's near dandenong.
Ryback
noob

Post by Ryback »

I'm in Bendigo, so we'll probably end up with internet cable around 2005. Sorry to moan at you but it gets very annoying sometimes...
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

that's a bit old, but here's my former keyb config.
Right hand : arrows to turn and go fo/backward, right CTRL to shoot (with the thumb)
Left Hand : A and S for separate strafe keys, ALT for strafe, Shift for run and space for use.

this way 8 fingers on 10 are used... that gives a very good playability.

i remember an old Dang contest which was for keyboarder only :)
i won't with a speedrun of e4m8...
try it if you want :)

stx-Vile (Guest)
from hell

Post by stx-Vile (Guest) »

movement = wasd
use = e
sr50 = alt or mouse2
autorun (didn't find out about this until recently)
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

Why isn't autorun not allowed?
I don't use it... and it is not an oob setting.
just my opinion....
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

"Why isn't autorun not allowed?"

I don't understand this sentence :-/

But autorun is allowed.
Oyvind
noob

Post by Oyvind »

"Why is autorun allowed?" would probably be a better way to phrase it
Oyvind
noob

Post by Oyvind »

Besides, a run button might be a pain on keyboards that can't handle too many simultaneously depressed buttons. I seem to remember having that problem before starting to use joyb=something or whatever...
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

/me goes back to school   :)

thanks for the answers guys.
stx-Vile (Guest)
from hell

Post by stx-Vile (Guest) »

I was told about autorun after mentioning my use key would sometimes not work if I had too many keys pushed down at one time.  It had a noticable effect in some runs, so I tried it.
It took some getting used to, but I appreciate that doom has this function after all.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

it's not really a function, it's a bug in the joystick code, but hey, it works :). i have it turned on in default.cfg but often end up holding my run key down anyway...heh.
--
adamw
deathz0r
noob

Post by deathz0r »

I'm in Bendigo, so we'll probably end up with internet cable around 2005. Sorry to moan at you but it gets very annoying sometimes...
with my cable, you'd prefer to stay on 56k. (evil telstra)
AltimaMantoid
player

I seem to not have commented yet

Post by AltimaMantoid »

I seem to not have commented yet.

I use the original DOOM/DOOM II key configuration, with Z and X as Left and Right Strafe respectively. That way all my actions are on my left hand and my movement is on my right. It can get hectic when I need to change weapons in the heat of battle though, cause I usually have to stop running and go back to walking, or stop firing, or who knows what else.

I don't know, I watched my ev31-1029 and my es31-352 demos earlier and I thought it didn't look like a keyboard job -_-'
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
SlagDooM
noob

Post by SlagDooM »

D = forward
C = backward
S = strafe left
F = strafe right
space = use

no conflicts with G, R and T in multiplayer
i used WERD, until lan@slag's 2000 :)
df
noob

Post by df »

Slag: yeah, and it's less close to the 'q' key too.
We all love the 'q' key, don't we? Salvation lies within the 'q' key, it's out final act. Or (and these we remember more often) the key that totally fucksup your greatest run so far in your life.
(As witch does
---
Whoooo
ranxeron
from hell

Post by ranxeron »

when starting to play w/ a mouse back in early 99 I just copied Panter's cfg

wer = str left/back/str right
RMB = forward (hi doug ;)

+ setting joybspeed to always run;
I also prefer to play w/ the vert axis disabled
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

Hi, I'm experimenting with mouse setups, and I was wondering if you have a good one which allows strafe50 running in either direction.
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

here's my current mouse setup for those who are interested.  Movement: rdfg
turn right+strafe on: spacebar
use: s
joy_b speed
novert
Pugsley
noob

Post by Pugsley »

Hiya Op.. :)  Great thread.  I changed my setup drastically about a year ago after reading the bios here.  I also chose then to start using the mouse to thrust.  I like it cuz it transfers a bit of the game over to my strongest hand. but that's just me.

Current setup is:

Forward     R mouse
Backward   F
Strafe L     D
Strafe R     G
Fire           L mouse
Activate     S
Strafe-50   C  (Binded to Strafe Toggle and a KB turn)
Turn L-R     Mouse

Note...I don't use the S-50 much but do like it for jumps where
I can stop and aim.. This setup is actually very similar to the
familiar WASD setup but moves it all one key to the Right.  This basically just centers my hand a bit more to my liking for weapon changing. Or I guess closer to the Plasma and BFG and farther away from the pistol and fist which I switch to less frequently.  What I end up with on the KB (weaker hand) is a simple SDFG....4 keys in a row where I set my 4 fingers in a row (pinky on S etc.)

-pugs
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

what the hell do you press C with? thumb feels damn uncomfortable there....
--
adamw
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

probably has to sacrifice a finger to get c.  Maybe he has it for strafe50 right and he sacrifices the strafe left button.  My personal recommendation would be to switch it to spacebar, since it seems that is unused, and you can use more strafe50 easily.  That would be the same as my config except for mouse button differences and that I use the r button for moving forward.
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

I use left Alt for Strafe50, I activate it with the thumb. I cannot use space while SR50ing, but who
activates things while jumping ? My key config is on the very left of the keyboard.
A = strafe left
S = strafe right
Z = backward....
mouse right = forward
sometimes I use the middle button for short strafe50 to both sides.
that's a very uncommon config :-) it's a remnant of my old keyb config. I had the right hand on
the arrows, A and S for strafing, space for use, shift for run. When i switched to mouse i kept the same
config with adding Z for backward since I couldn't do it with the mouse.
Pugsley
noob

Post by Pugsley »

Hi Adam & Xit, regarding the "C" S-50 button, I basically use my middle finger that usually rests on "F" (reverse) and move it down to the lower row. So yes, I guess I do sacrifice a finger etc. but it doesn't seem any prob to leave reverse alone for a jump or straightaway run.

Now..<g>,  I am no s-50 master by any means.  I have a tough enough time trying to recreate the S-40 stuff I see in the demos.  I just consider my C like a turbo button.

An example would be in lv14 Doom 2.  The platform jump to end room.  When I've aimed, I just move the middle finger down to C when I go.  I just figure a little extra boost can't hurt..:) Obviously I can't adjust any turn once activated but at that point I'm already going so what the hell..

I'm thinking..."If my aim's off a bit....maybe that extra boost will make it for me..."

-pugs
oblivion
noob

Post by oblivion »

back in the good old days i played keyboard only with the default config, and i really sucked.

now i play with a really fubared mouse config that only works with some source ports, but i can beat every single level in doom1 on UV warp w/ 50 bullets, something i could never even come close to before, so :).

A - strafe left
S - strafe right
shift - fire
space - open
LMB - foward
RMB - backward <- the part that needs a source port to do (or maybe some wierd TSR might work)
vertical mouse sensitivity off
autorun on

this setup is s40 only.
AltimaMantoid
player

Hey! >.<

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Oblivion, if you ever want to go back to keyboarding let me know, I can set you up with a pretty good keyboard configuration.... *looks around and hears the crickets chirping*

Okay guys....the silence is scaring me....stop staring at me dammit! Um....hello? *gets attacked by a mob of killer dust bunnies* Heeeeellllllllp meeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Anyway, seriously, not all Doom players are mousers, I know Ryback is an excellent keyboarder ^_^
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
DooMBoy
noob

Post by DooMBoy »

As for myself, I use the standard/classic arrow keys and Ctrl Shift Spacebar setup. Well, that is I used to. My spacebar screwed up, so I've taken to using the mouse. I've gotten used to the mousemove, something I thought was insurmountable. Oh well.
myk
noob

Post by myk »

I've changed my config a few times; the most painful was of course when I became a "mouser," but it always takes some time to get used to changes. Presently doom.cfg is:

Mouse1 = fire
Mouse2 = forward (I can double click for use)
Control = backward (with my palm)
Space = run*
E = strafe left
D = strafe right
W = use
S = strafe
A = turn left
Z = turn right

* This is obviously my thumb; I usually keep it pressed all along, which also helps my hand know where the rest of the keys are).

This means the weapon keys are close, and I can strafe50 both ways. It doesn't get in the way of any chat keys in multiplayer, and I learned not to use the F key, in case I want to move (or whatever) while in map mode. One of my last config changes had to do with that mistake; I think F was strafe right. Also, my keyboard has removable keys, and I'll take the Q key off if I'm recording, especially if it's going to be a long demo.

Oh, I use Istvan Pataki's Novert now (got rid of vertical mouse sensitivity this year, or maybe last year, so now map25 isn't a nightmare to play anymore... phew.)