New FTP

Configuration, files, setup.
Paul_Gilbert
noob

New FTP

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

I see that there is a new FTP, but could it at least be one that actually works? (When I try it, I just get a "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" message)
admin
nightmare

Re: New FTP

Post by admin »

We encountered some problems with the current FTP configuration.

Currently the FTP is running on port 8000.
This might change back to 8002 when the problems get solved.

I'll keep you posted, check back later.

UPDATE: Back running on port 8002. It should work fine (it does from my PC here), but there still could be problems (currently the /incoming mirrorer script can't connect and we are trying to fix it).

Also: if you manage to connect but can't get a directory listing and/or get "Illegal port command", the solution is to set your FTP client to "passive mode".

As the settings are still being screwed around there might be connection problems. Please be patient.
Last edited by admin on 04.03.2002 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
AltimaMantoid
player

I'm patient, don't worry ^_^

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Yeah, I am a very patient person.

Although I'll make it known to all I can't get on the FTP ^_^ I know Mr. Hegyi is working hard on that. *gives AdamH a round of applause*
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

It should generally work by now....
If it doesn't, your ISP might filter port 8002 (as does the C-N website, that causes the /incoming mirror fail).

We'll move to a port under 1024 soon (hopefully over the weekend).

Until then, I'll put the latest stuff into the /incoming mirror manually. Just click "Incoming" on the website and you can get 'em.

Also you can get all the necessary demos for your Cyber vote as those aren't stored on the FTP.

Altima: please let me know if it still doesn't work.
Last edited by admin on 06.03.2002 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
AltimaMantoid
player

Crashes

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Doh >.<

Now whenever I go to click on the FTP or Incoming links, the browser freezes and locks up, leaving Ctrl+Alt+Del as my only way to get out of it.
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

The Incoming links have nothing to do with the FTP, they are simple web links... so the problem seems to be elsewhere.

You could try a real FTP client... ;)
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Perhaps you are simply not waiting long enough for IE to get a response from the ftp site.
I noticed that it is somewhat slow for authentication, but uploads are very fast. 8)
AltimaMantoid
player

FTP troubles

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Doug, I have waited long enough for it to load. And all but once, it has locked up my web browser. The one time I did make it, I had an error, so I still wasn't able to view the files in the FTP -_-'
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

well, that just sucks.
The only thing I can really suggest is what Adam already said: go get WS_FTP, CuteFTP, FTPexplorer, etc...
for your OS.  it isn't hard to set up... just don't forget to put in the special fields for port 8002 and pasv mode.
If worse comes to worst, you could just email Adam or me, and we'll upload it.  (shhh, Adam might hear me say that.) ;D
Radeg
noob

Post by Radeg »

Hi,
i have the same problem like Altima_Mantoid. But I tried to use LeetchFTP and connect in passive mode, but while I was connecting it stopped: Socket Error : no DNS entry!

what should I do now ? I have no idea.
thx for help  
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

Try connecting to the IP address:

And don't forget that it's port 8002.
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

I think the service might just have been down.
I could reach the Compet-N and this board, but not ftp://competn.doom2.net:8002/pub/compet-n/
I couldn't ftp there from my windows2000 computer at work either, but then my work might have filters to block an odd ftp address/port etc..
Now that I am home, all of them work.
if you still can't see it, try another ftp tool. ???
AltimaMantoid
player

>.<

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Well....I'm STILL unable to log on to the FTP in any way, form, or fashion. I can't d/l any of the PWAD demos (I was kinda wanting to finish my collection of Max-Kill demos for MM)

Also, I did like Opulent said and waited....and when it finally DID upload, I got an error. I don't remember what it said (it was a few days ago) but I couldn't log in to the FTP.

I've tried a lot of things, but I'm still unable to get in there.

I may have to e-mail you my demo AdamH, I only have one so far, but I hope you guys enjoy it...if I can ever get it uploaded!

But anyway, what else could anyone recommend...I'd like to finish my Max d/ls for MM.....
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

Altima: your browser can't bring up: ftp://competn.doom2.net:8002/pub/compet-n/ ?
Your OS might be filtering that ftp port range, but your browser should be able to download.
Perhaps Adam and Bahdko will get /incoming html working and so it will be mirrored through the web...
Radeg
noob

Post by Radeg »

OH ADAM, it's working!! I can't believe! That's fucking great, finally I know what is new in Incoming....Altima, try to connect that IP address as Adam advised me, cuz I HAD the same problem like you.

btw. I think the problem was here, cuz i'm behind proxy server at work, but this is my only Inet access now. Do you have any idea how to join Irc ?? There I have a problem as well. It's unable to resolve any server. :(

Anyway, thanks Adam.
ocelot
noob

Post by ocelot »

Try irc.stealth.net

that one works from almost anywhere
Radeg
noob

Post by Radeg »

I tried, didn't work.
AltimaMantoid
player

Connecting to the IP

Post by AltimaMantoid »

How do you connect to the IP address? I'm slightly computer illiterate when it comes to that kind of stuff...I know things...but not a whole lot ^^'  :-[  :P
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Domain Naming Service (DNS) is a human-readable resolution of the 32-bit ip address.  All DNS services simply resolve NAMES to ips.  There are exceptions, but don't concern yourself with that.
for example: doomworld.com resolves through telefragged's ip to 65.192.137.170.
where this comes into play here is that your ftp service, OS, or webhost does not resolve ftp NAMES.  just substitute 65.192.90.195 for competn.doom2.net in your ftp tool (or browser).
and remember, like Adam said, to use port 8002 and pasv mode for ftp connections.
AltimaMantoid
player

@.@

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Umm....what? @.@ *extremely confused*
Radeg
noob

Post by Radeg »

Could you tell me IP address of AV ftp ??
lmp:J856S@lmp.netfirms.com/www/lmps/packs/av/

that could solve another problem :)
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Altima: if there is something your unclear on, or you still can't connect to the ftp; just give me a private email and we'll work it out.:-*
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

I still can't get the FTP to work.  It would be nice if you got the incoming mirror to work so I don't need to use the ftp.
AltimaMantoid
player

Oiy...

Post by AltimaMantoid »

This sucks ass. I STILL can't even pull up the C-N FTP server!! Here I am, with one amazing demo, and another so-so demo to upload....and I can't! >.< It irks me I tell ya....I'm goin' mad! ;)
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

Ya know, you can still e-mail your demos to Adam.
AltimaMantoid
player

AV FTP

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Hey, how do you log into the AV FTP? It's "password protected" and I'd like to see how the hell anyone could beat 90% of the levels in that PWAD!! ^^'
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

the username and password is posted in this thread.
if that doesn't work, then they removed the account... or changed the password.
AltimaMantoid
player

o.O

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Hooooboy....where's a password hacking program when you need one. I must be as dense as a ton of bricks. This thing has absolutely stumped me, and I'm out of ideas...and if it's posted in the thread, I'm totally lost.....
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

AltimaMantoid
player

Thank you

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Thanks

Also concerning the AV FTP Opulent, can anyone just upload into the FTP, or are there certain stipulations that I'm not aware of?
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Most networking operating systems work as a heirarchy of groups... even the superuser is a group member.
In this case, all of us are  logging into one account with its specific group permissions. thus, we all have the same abilities.  :)
Talk to Disturbed to get more than that.
AltimaMantoid
player

@.@

Post by AltimaMantoid »

That wasn't what I meant, in fact, that just confused me @_@

What I meant was, can anyone just upload demos into the FTP? Like, let's say I had a -respawn run for one of AV's maps, would I just upload it with a txt file or would I have to have permission or something?
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

oh yeah.
Last edited by Opulent on 09.04.2002 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
AltimaMantoid
player

No no no no no no no

Post by AltimaMantoid »

No no no no no no no

Don't don't don't

Let me get at least ONE -respawn run!! ^^'
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

I wouldn't worry about that altima.  Demo packs are traditionally uv-max only, and this respawn/tyson/nightmare/speed stuff is just for fun mostly.  I would say av is destined to be a compet-n pwad one day, so why not do some stuff for it and send it to Doug for the DSDA.  Then when AV is added to compet-n you'll get points for it.
AltimaMantoid
player

-_-'

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Actually, I was just about to upload it, then I read what you said....so I'll wait for Doug or someone to do whatever. I have my 0.5 and my name in AV....but Doug, if you want to, I'll either put it with the demo pack or send it to you for the DSDA....whatever you wanna do Doug ^_^
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

hahhaha that was a good one.
I don't see it in my inbox... YET. ;)
AltimaMantoid
player

^^'

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Buncha bastards ;)

Anyway, do I send it to you Doug for DSDA or upload it to the AV FTP?
Ryback
noob

Post by Ryback »

but, as for AV, that is wrapping up as we speak... (right Ryback?!?)
Yes, it certainly is. So mail me your comments people! I don't want to have to chase up everybody...
If you can't remember which maps you currently own, refresh your memory.
Pugsley
noob

Post by Pugsley »

On kind of a side note, I've noticed that my browser has probs getting into Dang.  My ftp shows that CN, SDA, and Dang are linked and have no prob finding files this way.

But the browser seems to point at ftp://lmps.dhs.org/pub/dang/.  

The database works fine but I think the demo section is still linked to the old addy.

-pugs