Ack! doom2.exe keyboard problem

Configuration, files, setup.
jbd41
noob

Ack! doom2.exe keyboard problem

Post by jbd41 »

So I've been trying to record with regular DOOM2.EXE, and then about halfway through the recording, arbitrarily, the program will quit out. I've tested it and it seems to happen if I hit too many keys at once, or a lot of keys quickly, or something along those lines. Anyone with a clue why this would happen?

[Using Win98.]

- Jason
AltimaMantoid
player

Hmm...

Post by AltimaMantoid »

I don't know what to say, but I run on Win98 and those aren't my keyboard problems.

My problems are mostly with weapon changing. Especially Shotguns, I'll go to switch to them and my Shotguns will switch between Pump and Super, and I have to stop moving, hit my Shotgun key, and wait for the switching to stop, before I can even fire.

Then I have the problem I call "barrel-locked" in which I switch weapons (i.e. Shotgun to Plasma Rifle) but when I do, the weapon I picked switches back out before I can fire to my previous one, or the weapon won't change at all until I hit the key for the weapon I'm locked with.

Can anyone explain why they do that for me?

Oh, and Jason, unfortunately, I don't know what to tell you, just play a little more carefully? *shrugs*  :-/
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
xit-vono
player

Re: Ack! doom2.exe keyboard problem

Post by xit-vono »

I hope you can figure out a way to deal with your technical problems.  It would be a shame if you let this keep you from making compet-n records.
Oyvind
noob

Post by Oyvind »

I guess you already know that large demos need to be recorded with -maxdemo 1024 or some such...?
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

Doubt that's it, Oyv - he seems to be playing requiem map06 max, which doesn't go over 10 minutes.
--
adamw
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

"I've tested it and it seems to happen if I hit too many keys at once"

Would one of those keys happen to be the "Q" key?  ;)
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Yeah, I've heard of this before... maybe Adam knows.
I think I read something of this on the SDA board.
some keyboards(read: interrupt I/O handles through the keyboard) will only allow a certain number of simultaneous inputs.
I'm not sure if getting a better keyboard is a solution... it might be the system architecture.
I sometimes press 5 keys and 2 mouse buttons simultaneously, and I use win98... so I know it is possible.
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

Vile was joking, but it really sounds like you accidentally press the Q key which stops recording and exits the game. Are there any error messages after quitting?
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

some keyboards(read: interrupt I/O handles through the keyboard) will only allow a certain number of simultaneous inputs.
I'm not sure if getting a better keyboard is a solution... it might be the system architecture.
In that case getting a new keyboard will fix the problem. There are some keyboards that can only handle two or three keypresses at once, or a certain key combination will not work (I have had this problem with one of my old keyboards that did not let me switch to certain weapons in Q3 during strafejumping, after getting a new kb everything worked fine). Every time you buy a new keyboard it's a good idea to immediatelly test it for such issues. The easiest way to do this is to open a text editor and press down all the keys you use for movement at once. While one of the characters are running on the screen (assuming your keyboard works so far) press down the spacebar too. If all these keys are pressed down and you can see spaces running, your keyboard most likely works as you expected.
My current kb can handle five keys pressed down at once but if I try E, S and D at the same time it fails. Luckily I never need to run forward and backward at the same time  :D
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

I read that *every* keyboard has some such issue - something to do with limitations in the I/O. It's just that the problem combinations turn out to be different on almost every keyboard...so you just damn well hope it's not W, D and 7 on your keyboard...:). Actually, I wonder if this applies to all interfaces, or only the old AT interface? It was back then I read about it, so maybe...
--
adamw