Post COMPET-N suggestions HERE

News about doom.com.hr changes. Report bugs, suggest features, complain, etc.
Archy
beliver

Post COMPET-N suggestions HERE

Post by Archy »

First off, I'd like to say that I completely realize that COMPET-N is being redesigned to fit the style of doom.com.hr and thus much of these suggestions would be pointless to [currently] implement because the site will just be completely reconstructed anyway. I also realize that it takes time to implement changes and that many of these suggestion may not be realistically applied or just down right impractical. Anyways, with that being said, here are some of my suggestions:

1. When you go back in time at the Database, make it so that the players disappear as you go to a date that they had not submitted a single demo yet. Sorry if that wording was hard to comprehend.

It would also be nice if the whole
6092 demos
144 players
28 countries
19 days, 7 hours, 13 minutes, 5 seconds of speedrunning
thing would go back in time as well, but I know that's extremely impractical to implement.

2. Add UV -respawn Movie, Tyson Movie and UV Pacifist Movie (is that even possible?) to the Database, even though players don't get points for them, they still compete in them (like Adam Williamson's E1T-4449 and my E2Re2838).

3. of course adding PWADs to the Database would be nice...

Anyways, just some suggestions. The first one about the players disappearing as you go back in time is the one I'd be most excited to see. It's great for statistics on the evolution of C-N's players.

Thanks!
fx
nightmare

Re: Post COMPET-N suggestions HERE

Post by fx »

There will be no changes to database for now. Not until everything else is fixed and Compet-n page is fully migrated from html/cgi to php. This will TAKE TIME, and no ETA , sry lol
I plan to migrate database to MySQL, then it will be easy to add new database and do whatever i want to do.
But not now.. first things first. I didn't even update all records, and as I see it, it will take a month or two just to fill that gap.

I'll move this post to Suggestions forum, so please add more suggestions there, I will be happy if you have cool ideas :]
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

I understand, but what does "ETA" stand for?
zvonimir wrote:This will TAKE TIME, and no ETA , sry.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Ryback
noob

Post by Ryback »

My own suggestions: it'd be nice to see a more prominent link to here: http://www.doom.com.hr/public/doom2/demos/compet-n/. I find it easier for browing than the download links. Also I realise you're still adding demos but once everything's in and the database is stable it'd be great if you could zip up the entire compet-n archive, especially since people won't be able to keep their offline copies up to date with FTP. And then have a fullpack.zip for future updates, etc.

I like the current news style you had in the forum, giving the highlights of each update rather than an exhaustive list of the lot.

Other things maybe as I think of them.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

It's not a problem to create daily Compet-n snapshot somtehing like: compet-n_full_2012_06_06.zip, but I'll do it later.
As for link, there is http://doom.com.hr/?page=doom_hr_downlo ... =compet-n/, as you pointed I've given direct access to Compet-n public site so it's browsable now (lets hope someone will not hack it...) I'll add it to front page.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

I would add an extra ¶ between existing ¶s here because it can get really confusing and if you look away and then look back, you'll probably have lost where you where at.

Just look at the difference:
UV Speed: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence.
UV Maxkills: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and with 100% secrets.
NM Speed: finishing the level as fast as possible, in NightMare!.
NM 100% secrets: finishing the level as fast as possible, in NightMare! and with 100% secrets.
UV -Fast: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -fast parameter, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and 100% secrets.
UV -Respawn: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -respawn parameter, with 100% kills or more and with 100% secrets.
UV Pacifist: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, with the following restrictions: not harming monsters directly (no shooting at, chainsawing, boxing monsters), not harming monsters indirectly (exploding barrels that hurt monsters, activating crushers that hurt monsters). Allowed is making monsters fight each other and unintentional telefrags.
UV Tyson: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, with the following restrictions: you can only use fist, berserk fist, chainsaw and pistol.
MMH: finishing the level in Ultra Violence, in the highest MMH possible. The Maximum Minimum Health is calculated this way: "Watch the health everytime the player takes damage, and take the smallest value of the whole recording. If the player takes no damage at all, the health at the exit counts." (Steffen "Rini" Udluft)
UV Speed: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence.

UV Maxkills: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and with 100% secrets.

NM Speed: finishing the level as fast as possible, in NightMare!.

NM 100% secrets: finishing the level as fast as possible, in NightMare! and with 100% secrets.

UV -Fast: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -fast parameter, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and 100% secrets.

UV -Respawn: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -respawn parameter, with 100% kills or more and with 100% secrets.

UV Pacifist: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, with the following restrictions: not harming monsters directly (no shooting at, chainsawing, boxing monsters), not harming monsters indirectly (exploding barrels that hurt monsters, activating crushers that hurt monsters). Allowed is making monsters fight each other and unintentional telefrags.

UV Tyson: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, with the following restrictions: you can only use fist, berserk fist, chainsaw and pistol.

MMH: finishing the level in Ultra Violence, in the highest MMH possible. The Maximum Minimum Health is calculated this way: "Watch the health everytime the player takes damage, and take the smallest value of the whole recording. If the player takes no damage at all, the health at the exit counts." (Steffen "Rini" Udluft)
Or add bullet points:
• UV Speed: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence.
• UV Maxkills: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and with 100% secrets.
• NM Speed: finishing the level as fast as possible, in NightMare!.
• NM 100% secrets: finishing the level as fast as possible, in NightMare! and with 100% secrets.
• UV -Fast: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -fast parameter, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and 100% secrets.
• UV -Respawn: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -respawn parameter, with 100% kills or more and with 100% secrets.
• UV Pacifist: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, with the following restrictions: not harming monsters directly (no shooting at, chainsawing, boxing monsters), not harming monsters indirectly (exploding barrels that hurt monsters, activating crushers that hurt monsters). Allowed is making monsters fight each other and unintentional telefrags.
• UV Tyson: finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, with the following restrictions: you can only use fist, berserk fist, chainsaw and pistol.
• MMH: finishing the level in Ultra Violence, in the highest MMH possible. The Maximum Minimum Health is calculated this way: "Watch the health everytime the player takes damage, and take the smallest value of the whole recording. If the player takes no damage at all, the health at the exit counts." (Steffen "Rini" Udluft)
Edit: After looking at it, even the bullet points are too confusing with all that (important!) text. Stick with the extra ¶, or maybe even the extra and the bullet points :)
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Design/styling/pagination/whatever will be done when Alen sends me new Compet-n PS, until then report only tehnical errors, missing links, images or something like that.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Started preparing stuff for new competition era. I'll also go trought all forum suggestions already posted here and fix/add in coming days.

Fell free to send your naming conventions (with more than 8 chars please), templates for txt and thoughts. I have some ideas on my mind but would love to hear you first tho.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Ryback wrote:Also I realise you're still adding demos but once everything's in and the database is stable it'd be great if you could zip up the entire compet-n archive, especially since people won't be able to keep their offline copies up to date with FTP. And then have a fullpack.zip for future updates, etc.
OK, entire COMPET-N archive is available here: http://doom.com.hr/public/compet-n/
Archy wrote: I would add an extra ¶ between existing ¶s here because it can get really confusing and if you look away and then look back, you'll probably have lost where you where at.
Did some CSS changes, let me know if it's better now:
http://www.doom.com.hr/index.php?page=compet-n_faq

Regarding new Competition Doom:
As of naming demos, here is a work in progress: http://www.doom.com.hr/public/compet-n/ ... g_2013.txt
New template, also still work in progress: http://www.doom.com.hr/public/compet-n/ ... e_2013.txt
rrwoods
noob

Post by rrwoods »

When I try to download compet-n_2012_10_10.zip, I get a file not found error.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

rrwoods
noob

Post by rrwoods »

That link works fine.... strange, I can't get it from the downloads page though.

Thanks!
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

I've made new archive and added missing MM demos: http://doom.com.hr/?page=doom_hr_downlo ... =compet-n/

Also, download script was broken so files bigger than ??? MB failed. Please report if you notice any weird behavior. I've tested downloading only in Chromium.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Since ALL PWAD records are in database (there might be some errors ofcourse) and on site I've made new zip.
Ok, in the meantime vddg sent me errors for the AV, HR, CE, MM, MM2 and RQ so I've fixed them all now and updated zip (compet-n_2012_10_29.zip). Have fun!
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

I would ad the Old Forum to the FAQ, I bet many people would be looking for it.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Yeah, I did add it to FAQ, and even upgraded it to latest YaBB since I was getting lots of errors with old one after server upgrade. No registrations, but it's browsable. If anyone needs account for some reason let me know and I'll create him one.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

The link in the FAQ is not hyperlinked.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

FAQ was merged with rules: http://doom.com.hr/?page=compet-n_rules
And it's still not edited and cleaned. I really should fix that.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

When viewing an individual map such as this, one cannot sort by anything other than time. This is incredibly annoying when I am making tables such as this:

Code: Select all

Complete Historic COMPET-N Leaderboard:
  RE03-307 - Thomas Kroppen   - 12.10.1997
  RE03-207 - Thomas Pilger    - 12.01.1998
  RE03-157 - Steffen Udluft   - 21.01.1998
  RE03-144 - Thomas Pilger    - 08.03.1998
  RE03-140 - Jan Endre Jansen - 21.09.1998
  RE03-137 - Adam Williamson  - 08.07.1999
  RE03-134 - Zvonimir Buzanic - 25.09.1999
  RE03-133 - Henning Skogsto  - 04.09.1999
  RE03-129 - Zvonimir Buzanic - 05.09.2000
  RE03-117 - Archy            - 09.03.2013
I was wondering if you could change this and allow viewers to sort by anything they want just as they can here.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Oh, sure I can :) But will I? :) Yes I will :)

ps. done! :coffeenews: Now make use of it :kaboom:
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

Could you add "view without frames" or whatever here: http://www.doom.com.hr/?page=compet-n_database

Windows 98 is slow and I like viewing just the database.
fx
nightmare

Post by fx »

Hmm, you can disable forum and gallery in settings and it should be fast enough. But if this does not work for you I'll do something about it.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

It's not that big of a deal, disabling images in my web browser and disabling the forum helped. Besides, when I'm not doing some old-school shit, I'm normally using my fast dual-core machine.
Archy
beliver

Post by Archy »

I think comments should be in ascending order by time just like posts are in the forum.

EDIT: Damn it I'm stupid, didn't see "Oldest first," lol. Anyways, I think "Oldest first" should be the default.