Favorite Compet-N demos

Anything else!
Opulent
player

Favorite Compet-N demos

Post by Opulent »

Hi.
What are your favorite Compet-N demos?
Anders' pf32? Adam's nm07? Panter's 30nm4949?  my, uhhh.. yeah.  ::)
Let me know...
(this post _does_ have an ulterior motive)
Erik Alm
from hell

Re: Favorite Compet-N demos

Post by Erik Alm »

I like Daniel Lindgren's tyson on map29 of doom2 and Xit Vono's tyson on e2m8. I can imagine how the Demonlord felt when fighting that cyber in map29.. gulp
999cop
noob

Post by 999cop »

oh yeah, adam's nm map07, waldon's tyson map32, and the conpetition of his demo on uv map15 against chewy's ;D pretty much they are all impressive
Screw it, screw you, screw Quake!
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

so you like ty29?  Well, I'll have to move that to the top of my list.  I'm looking at a time of 20-30 minutes.  The main source of improvement is I punch out Cacos in the open.

Well the demos I like are rq01-040, p1m7-151, tn32-409, p1m3-056.
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

Nobody said Adam's lv01-041 maxdemo yet. I played that level/category thousands of times, 0:41 is an incredible time. The built max of map32 still makes me laugh every time I see it.
999cop
noob

Post by 999cop »

Nobody said Adam's lv01-041 maxdemo yet. I played that level/category thousands of times, 0:41 is an incredible time. The built max of map32 still makes me laugh every time I see it.
Yeah, its also worth to be mentioned  ;)
Screw it, screw you, screw Quake!
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

my favorite demos :
Adam's map01 max and map07 runs, Henning's latest 30nm, Anders and Ocelot DMs,
Sedlo's map24 speed and DF's 30nm :)))))

PS : Xit Vono's Tysons rules, he deserves a form :)
Ryback
noob

Post by Ryback »

Difficult question, so much to list...

Hmmm, Henning and Vince's D2SS runs, of course. Some of AdamH's udoom speedruns, like e2m5-027. I've got a special spot for Anthe's 01-10 lightning nightmare lmp: it's been done faster, but that recording just has so much style and action.
Marijo Sedlic's fastest ns15, awesome playing.

Steffen Winterfeldt's first ever e1m3 nm: not Compet-n, but recorded in march 1994 on v1.2 and quite interesting.

I know I'll think of more but that's enough to go on with :)
AdamW (Guest)
from hell

Post by AdamW (Guest) »

okay, only xit-vono gets to live. the rest of you non-me-appreciative bastards are gonna be first against the wall when the revolution comes. in a big line. grrr. =)
AdamW (Guest)
from hell

Post by AdamW (Guest) »

oh, and as for my favourites...for single-level demos, adamh's map01, map07 and e3m4 speed, sedlo's old map24 (before me and adamh discovered that bug) and plutonia 11 speedruns, johnr's p1m3 (for patience) and map03 speed (for ingenuity) and since i'm a vain bastard, my own p4m2. movies...30nm4949 is an all-time classic of course...30nm3738...30ns6936...adamh's awesome ep2 and ep3 speedruns...radek's awesome ep1 max...and since i'm still a vain bastard, ep1-0511. there, if no-one else is gonna pick me, i damn well will. :)
Jonathan
noob

Post by Jonathan »

Adam: Um, what p1m3?
df
noob

Post by df »

Whooo .. tx vince, yeah i know, my demo is great  ;D ;D ;D
---
Whoooo
AdamW (Guest)
from hell

Post by AdamW (Guest) »

doh, silly me. sorry john, p1m3-056 is by vince of course. i was in a bit of a rush when i wrote that post. :)
Ilkka_Kurkela
noob

Post by Ilkka_Kurkela »

I have watched a lot of doom demos from Compet-N, and I have to say that the most interesting ones are always the marathon runs through doom2 levels. Also worth mentioning are some of the hardest Tyson & Pacifist demos. You people really know how to play Doom! Keep it up :)
PanterD2S
noob

Post by PanterD2S »

Hiho folks,
first I have to say this new Site really rocks...finally Compet-N got a new look. And even more, the idea to have a Forum is great. I really like it. And although I never did any Demos in the last years (even never touched Doom) I visit Compet-N quite frequently (you should come to #nightmare on IRC more often).
Hey, wow all this very different people inside this Forum...even lotsa Quakerunners...(is n3m5 still mine ? :).

Ah...forgot one thing....my favorite .lmp....

Well.............

I dont have one. All .lmps are worth watching.
I really enjoy to watch the Compet-N community. You Guys ROCK!

how about a 30reality ?...(:

PanterD2S
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

I'm happy this topic was brought up ;D

When you've watched most of the ~5000 demos at COMPET-N like I did, it's really hard to pick any favourites. I certainly couldn't pick specific demos because there are too many.

But I can say I still very much enjoy (in no particular order):
- Demonlord's Tyson and TGM demos
- Kai-Uwe Humpert's surreal maxkills (u4m2, e2m9, e3m1)
- Anthe Kren playing NightMare, anytime
- Istvan Pataki playing NightMare, anytime
- Yonatan Donner and Esko Koskimaa in D2dQ
- Ilya Britvich tricks
- Henning and Vincent playing NightMare (the longer the run the better)
- Anders Johnsen in Plutonia and HR
- Adam Williamson at his best, Episode 1 Pacifist
- Rocketjumps by Jonathan Rimmer
- Speedruns by Sedlo and Ocelot

I also think some demos are eternally legendary even if they got superseded since: who could forget the first nm04, nm22, 30nm, pacifists, tysons, so on...

And gotta love 'em tricks :)
tim
from hell

Post by tim »

in reply to panter .. the "n3m5" demo is no longer yours :) its been improved by 5 seconds .. and its E3M5 the naming standards are different for some reason between the games.

As for my favourite doom demos, well anything on Nightmare :), anything an episode or longer in one go, and any demos that contain a move that i can't do :) so most of them fit in there ;D
AltimaMantoid
player

My picks

Post by AltimaMantoid »

For one, one of my favorite demos would have to be the UV Speedrun for DOOM II by Radek Pecka. The full game in almost 30 minutes. Plus I love the way he plays.

Any of the Tyson demos done by Xit Vono. Also seeing as how he set the first Plutonia Tyson demo, he deserves credit. It was an awesome demo to watch! Especially his E2M8 "Tower of Babel," E4M1 "Hell Beneath," and Plutonia MAP 11 "Hunted."

Then there was the E3M7 "Limbo" demo done by also, Radek Pecka. Good job on almost breaking the 2:00 barrier on my favorite level! I would say that it's possible to get it down past that, but from the way Radek played it, it'll take a whole new route.

Then there was ANOTHER ONE done by Radek Pecka. E3M6 "Mt. Erebus" was an excellent demo. Very nicely handled.

DOOM II MAP 07 "Dead Simple" done by Daniel 'Demonlord' Lindgren on Tyson. What I want to know is HOW you hit the Mancubi and the Arachnotrons up close!? I've tried to do it many times and I never seem to connect with them. Oh well. Also his MAP 29 "The Living End" Tyson style is really great, a great demo.

Henning Skogsto has MAP 28 "The Spirit World" Tyson style. Great demo. Love it. Can't watch it enough times. Also his UV Max-Kill of the same level. Both of them are wonderful to watch. Then his MAP 27 "Monster Condo" is good as well.

To be perfectly honest, all demos are good. Those are just a select few of which I think stand out above the rest of them.

- Altima
Last edited by AltimaMantoid on 22.11.2001 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
Erik_Alm
noob

Post by Erik_Alm »

I finally had the time to watch some doom2 runs, and I must say that the 30nm runs rocks, I watched panther's first, then Henning's, great entertainment.

I also have a non-Compet-N favorite demo, TAS 30uv1617 by Sedlo, so many tricks... it's insane, especially map29.. the last RJ is ehh... amazing
AltimaMantoid
player

Ep1-Pacifist

Post by AltimaMantoid »

I know this is old but....

Hey, could someone send me a link to Adam Williamson's Episode 1-Pacifist....I'd like to see it ^_^
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

What Adam was talking about is individual demos like p1m7-151, p1m6-149, p1m5-114, etc.  You should also check p1m3-056 by vince and p4m1 by Vince.  I love Adam's ep1-0515(yes the slower one), ep1-0511 is of course also great.
DooMerMan
noob

Post by DooMerMan »

This topic is death, but... So I like speed runs - Sedlo
Cyl1t3L
noob

Post by Cyl1t3L »

My favourite demo must be Ocelots E1m7 Max (e1m7-224)!
It rox ya sox! ;P