mouse problem

Configuration, files, setup.
cast
from hell

mouse problem

Post by cast »

Hello great speed runners.

I have just installed Win98 on my WinXP machine and
downloaded original doom(2).exe from myk's site.
I configured setting with setup.exe and ran the game.
Everything is fine except mouse movement.
It has massive acceleration and nearly unplayable for me :-[
I tried several DOS drivers but they didn't work.

Is there a way to turn off acceleration?
My mouse is IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.
DeDo
noob

Re: mouse problem

Post by DeDo »

Well if you mean mouse sensitivity then you can adjust that in-game or by editing the default.cfg by changing the number in mouse_sensitivity x. When you do it in-game the maximum number you can have here is 9. I myself play with 15. You can also consider a program called novert.com that disables vertical movement of the mouse.

If you don't mean mouse sensitivity then ignore this post. :)
myk
noob

Post by myk »

I'm not sure what that optical IntelliMouse supports, but the acceleration depends on Windows and the particular driver you're using; perhaps you should try another driver.

Presently my mouse uses the "Standard Serial Mouse" driver that's part of Windows 98's drivers package, and does indeed supply considerable acceleration, but I've used a GMOUSE driver (both DOS and windows 95 versions) in the past, and they didn't have the same degree of acceleration.

Some other users have optical mice, so they might know about specific driver variants that apply to them...
VinceDSS
noob

Post by VinceDSS »

It is surely related to your windows mouse driver.
Micro$oft drivers usually have an options to select acceleration : Low, Medium, High or none (try them and pick the one you prefer).

You can also check the mouse_sensitivity of your default.cfg (I use aournd 40-50). When it is above 29 It crashes the game when trying to modify it from the menus (because the glider is outside the screen on the right)
cast
from hell

Post by cast »

I tried latest logitech mouseware and it worked ;D
thanks for replying anyway.