Making lmps work in XP?

Configuration, files, setup.
Demonlord
noob

Making lmps work in XP?

Post by Demonlord »

First of all, Hi to all of you!!!
Daniel Lindgren here, once and probably still known only  as "Demonlord" in the doomworld. Gotta say I'm impressed by this site and how well laid out it is, very very nice. Some of the new demos with rocket jumps and stuff seems amazing, I have only seen a fraction yet since I can't get most of them to work with Doom Legacy, running it under XP. I can playback any lmp right now but most of them go out of sync. after about 10 secs, I got Doom2 1.9, lmps are of the same version, tried some sh!t with lmpc, lmputil and whatever but no luck, it still doesn't work.. Any suggestions? Connected the comp. to my TV a while ago so I't opened up some possibilities watching old (and new) demos in a different way.
Btw, anyone know of a lmp to avi (mpg) convert tool?

To all of you still playing this marvelous game, keep it up guys, this piece of perfection will never die. If any of my old buddies Peo, Anthe, Kai, Yonathan, Simon ever reads this, hope you're fine and still working on your doom skills (for a secret comeback in the future ;)) We sure had some fun during those years playing this game! I still smile when I think back on it. And Steffen you're still a cheater!! ;)

I got stuck in the Diablo2 mania when it was released and I was back in the "Doom-insane mode" of gaming, got out of it late march 2001 though, my last char. OgreCleaver_CH was killed in a duel with a lvl 86 barb., my life was turned upside down by that game as well so maybe it was all for the best.. :)

L8ter dudes   8)
admin
nightmare

Re: Making lmps work in XP?

Post by admin »

This is nothing short of amazing 8) Welcome back ;D

If you have XP I strongly suggest using PrBoom to view demos (it even has an OpenGL version). Its homepage is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom/
All v1.9 demos should work except very very few. (Legacy won't work because it's a quite different engine overall and lost their demo compatibility long time ago)

I haven't had much contact with the old bunch, as far as I know Peo moved to the US, and Yonatan joined the army back in 99. I can tell you that Istvan is still around watching demos and playing the game sometimes, he got a bit carried away with competitive Quaking ;)
xit-vono (Guest)
from hell

Post by xit-vono (Guest) »

hey demonlord, I sort of figured you were long gone from the demo scene, but it's cool that you might make a comeback.  Yeah as Adam says, you should get prboom.  Hopefully you'll find a way to play some doom.  Someone needs to take on those TNT tyson tables.
Waldon
noob

Post by Waldon »

We are not worthy, we are not worthy!
Seriously, it's nice to see a living legend of the Doom scene. There are plenty of insane demos to watch for sure
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

Wow, the first DOOM god in person.:o
PrBoom is the way to go for sure.

as for lmptoavi conversion:
there is this by Girlich which is old, outdated, and never finished:
http://www.physik.uni-leipzig.de/~girli ... /lmp2mpeg/

I used this:
http://www.doomworld.com/insanity/files/lmptoss.zipto make this:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=155522no sound, and I didn't change the camera pov.
all it does is take screenshots, then make a stream of them at a certain rate.

some ports have 3rd person pov and free-roaming camera modes!
then there is the QDQ-styled chasecam movies.

really, if you are serious about converting, I'd use what has already been done.(just never been done for DOOM)
http://www.planetquake.com/dde/is a good place to start for dos games.  
there are LOTS of ripping tools and knowledgable people out there.
good luck, and record, my friend, record. ;)
df
noob

Post by df »

DL is on ircnet #nm atm ... quite some quotes for me :)

(rj) <Demonlord> hehe sounds cool, actually back in -96 i tried to use rocketjump on a few places but with no success, like map 7
[...]
<Demonlord> i guess you guys are the true doom gods these days..
<Demonlord> i feel like an old man
<Dash|RD> Half of us suck ass. :P
<Demonlord> haha, i dont think i could compete with ya even if i wanted to.
[...]
(map01) <Demonlord> damn back in the mid 90's we thought 7 secs was fast...
---
Whoooo
Demonlord
noob

Post by Demonlord »

Tried PrBoom today to watch some lmps under WinXP but with no luck, all go out of sync after maybe 30 secs.. Do i have to install DOS 6.2 again to make it work? I'm really not that XP horny (hell, ive reinstalled it 3 times the last week :() but i'd like to watch the demos on my TV, using TVTool.. Any suggestions? Nice talking to you all at IRC yesterday!  :)
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

That's rather odd. Only thing I can think of is to check your doom2.wad file. You need a proper Doom2 v1.9 wad, which should be dated Feb 1 1995 and be 14,604,584 bytes in size.
--
adamw
myk
noob

Post by myk »

Also, make sure that you are using prboom 2.2.3 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom/ as Adam_H indicated above. If you got it from somewhere else it could be an older version with limited v1.9 support.

As for installing DOS or Winows9* to run doom2, I recommend it if you plan to record anything for Compet-n, which requires it. That would be cool indeed. You can always set you machine up with a boot prompt and even keep WindowsXP for doing other stuff.
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

...and the only evening I decide to hit the sack early...Daniel "Demonlord" Lindgren drops by #nightmare.

Now thats just my luck in a nutshell =P

Great to see the compet-N grandfather lurking around =)
Demonlord
noob

Post by Demonlord »

Ok, thx for all the suggestions. I guess it could have to do with my doom2.wad then, dated "25th aug -94" the size doesn't match either, got it from DC just a few days ago, guess i'll have to find another.. I remember we had a similar problem back in the days..... Or if someone could send me a working ver.?

Damn, i wanna see all of those amazing lmps! Friday today, hope u all have a nice weekend! :)
Demonlord
noob

Post by Demonlord »

Wonderful! It's working, downloaded a doom2.wad dated 1st of feb. -95, got alot to watch now! ;D