SR50..

Anything else!
Demonlord (of old)
from hell

SR50..

Post by Demonlord (of old) »

Hi all!

Long time no see, was here a year and a half ago or smthn like that, plays some DM and CTF on ZDaemon every now and then, and some things I got rather curious about surfaced yesterday when talking to other players..

There seems to be players that can use the "strafe" (strafe on) function to their advantage even when playing deathmatch to achive faster movement (strafe 50 instead of strafe 40). I read a text file by Badhko yesterday explaining strafe, and I'd like to know (if anyone would be so kind) to explain how it would be possible to use this SR50 during an intense DM game (without having this set by automation through mouse drivers (as it was done by some germans back in the days..) As far as I understand using "strafe" with a mouse+keyb. config involves pressing a button when activating this "feature", but how in gods name is it possible to make this effective during a fast DM game, when u need to readjust your movement with the mouse every 10th of a second (without disturbing your aim or movement)?? To me this seems impossible without an automated mouse driver (which is cheat). People that obviously moves faster than others in DM games, and admits using strafe 50 are they cheating or is this really possible to achieve manually? When watching players claiming to use this they never seem to "lock" in a certain position either, it is extacly as smooth as normal SR40 (but the fact that they are faster).

Great with new high res. possibilites, playing in 1280x1024 currently, looks really good!
Mouse
from hell

Re: SR50..

Post by Mouse »

I don't have an answer, but some things to note:
1) strafe50 requires 5 'keys' to be used simultaneously.  Most players already 'cheat' by using the always run config option.
2) In DOOM, you can assign a key/mouse_button to do more than one thing.  Practice and skill would allow an individual to move very quickly with a versatile cfg.
3) Don't confuse what is possible in DOOM(2).exe with the source ports.  Zdaemon(etc...) get mouse_speeds from the windows APIs.  The win32 environment is one big hack that makes DOOM play and respond differently for each player.  (also advanced ports allow aliases and bindings....)
None of these things are 'cheats' per se; I'm stating that there is a difference between DOOM.exe and anything else.

As for doom2.exe dm players who can SR50 adeptly, yes there are several.  Devastation is perhaps a good example...
I recall Bahdko's description of the erroneously-claimed SR50 cheater with the lmp-detect tool... she stated how his extreme amount of SR50 gametics but with slow reaction time was a tell of cheating, but upon some further investigation, it turns out he was just an extremely fast player who was often out of control.  Sounds like a player who would become extremely deadly with more practice.
DL
from hell

Post by DL »

Thanks for reply mouse. I understand that there are differences between Doom2.exe and Zdaemon, though to me the feeling is pretty much the same (when playing at least). The thing that had me wondering was that some players claiming to use SR50 manually seems to move faster *all the time* (when watching them through F12). They never lock up or "slow down", even when in an intense fight where u move the mouse every tenth of a second they have this "extra speed" coming from SR50, to me that would be impossible to achieve manually, because you would have to press and release the strafe button very very fast (too fast for anyone to do between every little mouse movement imho). When you use the strafe on function you can't change direction with your mouse right? Not to mention what such hyper pressing and releasing of the button would do to your aim and movement pattern (they would both be severely disturbed).
ocelot
noob

Post by ocelot »

The way I believe st50 to be used on Zdaemon would work in doom2.exe as well. You use a mouse button for strafe on, the right button for instance, and an extra button on your keyboard for both 'turn left' and, turn right. For example, with a standard ESDF config, you could, in addition, have A assigned to 'turn left' and V for 'turn right'. Whenever you wish to straferun with the extra speed, you must hold down 1.the mouse button for strafe on,  2.forward, 3.strafe left/right, and 4.turn left/right. There are, therefore, many more buttons to coordinate than if one contents oneself with st40. This is very tricky to master, especially in DM, but it is possible, and not cheating. I haven't been following the Zdaemon scene recently, but when I was, at least 2 players were fluent at it, namely Chewy of the US and Sedlo of Croatia.
DL
from hell

Post by DL »

thx ocelot, seems i gotta accept it then, maybe they control the movements in a different fashion then the ordinary way I'm used to. People I have seen using it seems faster everywhere (which they shouldn't be cause the pressing of the keys can't be that "machine" precise, delays should always be present). They should also suffer from "lock up" from time to time, i.e. when they try and change direction with the mouse, they can't, because they have strafe keys pressed down, neither of these things seem ever to occur.. Which is pretty strange since they would have to change mousedirection very often.