DOOM3 limitations.

Anything else!
Opulent
player

DOOM3 limitations.

Post by Opulent »

DOOM3 will not run on windows98se(or any lower windows platform - ME, 95, etc..).
losers.  I bet it is the interface that was written by Activision and not the actual game, since the game is ported to Mac and Linux (right?).
Activision deserves to be flamed, since they offer no reason(protected memory, security reasons, etc...) why it won't work in a non-NT OS.
personally, I will install XP on a seperate hdd and swap hdds when I want to play D3... yet another reason I won't be playing it long...  bah! >:(
Szymanski
noob

Re: DOOM3 limitations.

Post by Szymanski »

I'm pretty sure it's to cut down the amount of testing and support Activision has to do. It's a risk because it potentially removes a large chunk of sales, which I suppose is why it wasn't mentioned long before it shipped.

As far as the engine is concerned the 9x OS's have pretty bad memory management and very poor stability. Win95 isn't supported by DirectX9 (used for input and sound) but 98 and ME shouldn't have too many problems.

Microsoft doesn't support their OS's properly* and developers want an easy time :(

*I work a lot with USB, all Win OS's have problems fully supporting the spec but there's only hope for XP and 2k ever working properly.
Opulent_
from hell

Post by Opulent_ »

fun game... but I'm only to the chainsaw so far.
Very, very Halflife-esque...  extremely linear and scripted.(which breaks my heart)
I'm pretty convinced that the non-98(etc) support is due to security reasons... that is why the cd-check can't be disabled and there are no dlls(only a single executable).
no matter, it's still darn fun... but it will be a long time before I replay it.
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

I cannot verify any of this, but someone figured out running DOOM3 on 98SE. It only needs some hex editing.

Find the string "GlobalMemoryStatusEx" in your exe and replace it with "GlobalMemoryStatus" (hex code for "Ex" is 45 78 which should be replaced with 00 00).
Both are similar Windows API calls. According to MSDN, the former is a Win2k/XP call while the latter is for 95 and up.
Szymanski
noob

Post by Szymanski »

http://www.cyberfight.org/site/news/258 ... 893f682682

patch for doom3, I can't test it (don't have doom3 over here yet) but I expect it does what Adam_H pointed out
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

op: a patch release in six months to one year or so will remove the CD check. this is standard id practice since either quake or quake2, don't remember which.
--
adamw