random doom crashing

Anything else!
Fish
from hell

random doom crashing

Post by Fish »

You guys ever have a problem with demo recording in windows at a DOS prompt and suddenly while playing the game freezes - you can see the current frame albeit the lines are a bit screwy.

Is there any setting (aka properties) for an MSdos prompt in win98 that might help avoid crashing. Or conflicting programs, etc.? Nothing is more annoying that this randomness. Which, just happened, and compelled me to post cause I'm fed up  ;)
Szymanski
noob

Re: random doom crashing

Post by Szymanski »

Is it only restricted to demos? I had a similar experience with a plutonia2 map where doom2.exe would freeze as you describe.

It would happen once for every ~4 vpo's i'd get in the same spot.
fish
from hell

Post by fish »

Not sure about whether it's just recording demos or all the time. Seems like when I'm just recording. But I don't play casually much anymore. I don't think it has anything to do with facing a VPO or HOM. It's just a random lockup.

A.
myk
noob

Post by myk »

Venetian Blinds.

I get these only very rarely presently; but under previous setups they've been more common.

Certain settings may affect this issue, as I've experienced personally, and as suggested on that thread. It might be a good idea to make sure DOS is always fullscreen (DOS Properties, Screen), and to Always suspend Background (DOS Properties, Misc.) More importantly, Doom is safer if you Prevent MS-DOS programs from detecting Windows (DOS Properties, Program - Advanced), albeit some pieces of hardware might not work if you enable the setting (like newer sound cards.) A memory manager should very well help against the issue (I consider such an app a requisite for Doom on Windows, anyway.) And you should make sure your memory settings are well optimized in general.
Fish
from hell

Post by Fish »

Wow, it happened again. This time I was watching Vile's 30nm and it crashed on level 26. Bummer. I did all the settings myk suggested, except for memory management. Can I get windows98 to do this? What would be a good setting?

Fish
myk
noob

Post by myk »

I use RAM Idle. Windows 98 pretty much frees physical memory when it's running out; a memory manager frees it little by little, so there's always a quota left whenever there's a peak in the requirements.