Deathmatch

Anything else!
Radeg
noob

Deathmatch

Post by Radeg » 27.01.2004 10:23

Hi guys, I just wanna start this threat to find out your opinions on some things. At first, what do you think about playing DM -respawn?? Do you like it? I know some guys who play -respawn only and don't wanna even hear about old DM. Secondly, do you like more DM on skill 4 or skill 5 ? I prefer old DM and skill 5, but i'm just wondering how about you. And the last thing, what do you think about camping in playing map01? Is it accaptable to just stay round the corner and wait for the opponent, or you think it's just part of tactics. Come on guys, i'm curious to find it all out.

Gusta
noob

Re: Deathmatch

Post by Gusta » 27.01.2004 10:44

Hey..do you wanna hear my opinion Radeg? ;D In my case it really doesn't matter what type of Dm i am actually playing. And my tactic? Like a duck waiting to be killed...you know ::)

Johnsen
from hell

Post by Johnsen » 27.01.2004 14:08

In most of the maps I've played it seemed obvious that old DM skill 5 was the way to go. As for Doom2 Map01 I initially started out playing skill 4 with respawn way back. I cringe when thinking back on it. Theres no question skill 5 old dm is the only way to do map01 properly. The only map I can think of that is fun with -respawn and skill 5 is doom2 map11.

Camping is automatically forced on a competive, high skilled player in the doom deathmatch enviroment in every map that have more about it than an open field. As for map01, one could discuss how well its suited for competive playing at all with its linear design. Camping taken far enough can render the map pointless. I've spectated games that go on for 50 minutes w/o either playing budging. To me that sorta illustrates a problem with the standard dm rules. One could ponder if a -timer limmit and forced respawn woulda made patience less of a pivotal player feature (a -timer limmit would not work in maps with inaccessible areas like the chainsaw alcove of map01 tho).

As is, some camping is bound to happen in any high level game of map01 unless the players are just jerking off / kicking back. Camping alone dosn't win you a game, and theres always the posiblity of effectively rushing a camper to death. The fairness of a game where one player always have to make the risky move is not grand tho.

AdamW
player

Post by AdamW » 27.01.2004 16:22

ummm, when you say -respawn, do you mean altdeath? -respawn would just turn on respawning monsters, and I can't think of anyone who'd want to play DM with those :D. olddeath and skill 5 all the way, baby. Anything else feels like Quake.
--
adamw

Altima
from hell

Post by Altima » 27.01.2004 21:13

I'm not the greatest DMer, but I've played my fair share of games and I have to say the traditional way to do it. Skill 5 is the way it SHOULD be... ^_^