Question

Anything else!
DooMBoy
noob

Question

Post by DooMBoy »

How did you guys become Doom Gods? Like, say, stx-Vile for example. How in heaven's name did you pull off a full Plutonia movie in 41:11?! It just blows my mind. I really just can't see how someone could get so good at a game that they could beat in on Nightmare in under an hour and without breaking a sweat.
So, how do you do it?
Vile
player

Re: Question

Post by Vile »

All that isn't as easy as it sounds.  The demos are a representation of a player's skill at its peak.  We don't play that good every single time we try.  Compet-N brings out the best of a player's abilities and nothing more.  It does take a lot of practice, and in the case of movies, a good deal of planning to get those kinds of results, but it's fun and we consider it a hobby to create them.  We hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoy making them.  8)

In the case of 30pl, it took many tries to pull it off and I was pretty nervous near the end for fear of messing up what I thought was a nice attempt.  However, the more you play these runs and the more you succeed, the less intimidating they seem, so eventually we can create faster times with less nerve-crushing experiences, hehe.  As in any game, the more you play, the better you become and the more you can accomplish in less time.

Just remember that we love gaming and even doom as a hobby and have done so for many years, and these abilities didn't come from nowhere but from year's of refinement (and many many unsuccessful attempts at these runs). :)

Nice to see a new face on the forums, BTW.  8)
DooMBoy
noob

Post by DooMBoy »

Just out of curiosity, Vile, how many tries did it take you to do a full movie run of Pllutonia? I guarantee you if I tried something like that, I'd be dead back at the first level, which it seems I can never get through without dying at least once ;)
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

Hmm, I don't really keep track of # of attempts, but I'm sure the final number isn't too flattering.  There's also the number of attempts used on each of the individual episode movies, so... let's say a lot. :)
Angus_Thermopyle
noob

Post by Angus_Thermopyle »

If you want to know the stories behind the demos, DooMBoY, you should read some of Sedlo's textfiles, then you'll see how hardworked playing on this level could be.

An example: In the story for his wonderful and godly lv24-034 Sedlo wrote: "Final number of 37's I made is 430". That are only the really fast and successful runs, how much tries he did for it altogether, who knows ... ten thousands? A hundred thousand?
Last edited by Angus_Thermopyle on 19.04.2003 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

I figured out how many times I've played episode 1 and P2M1 once, but it hurt my head, so I forgot about it quickly :). But yeah, DooMBoy, the simple answer is: hours and hours and HOURS of practice. I've played, on average, three hours of Doom per day since 1993. figure it out...owch.
--
adamw
DooMBoy
noob

Post by DooMBoy »

Heh, I play Doom a few hours each day, but not since '93. :P
I still think some of you guys are born knowing how to play Doom god-like :)
Kristian Ronge
noob

Post by Kristian Ronge »

A few comments...(Keep in mind I'm not a DooM God. Whatever the definition of "DooM God" is, I know I'm not it :-))

I agree with DooMBoy that some players are so insanely good that they seem to be "born" to play the game. It's like chess; surely, if a patzer like myself would train for years and years and years I could get really good at chess.. but never a top GM, like Kasparov or Kramnik. They train too of course (as Adam W says, he's played for hours and hours) but they also seem to have some kind of "natural ability" (I lack the words with which I want to express my thoughts, so I improvise) to play the game at a higher level than others.

I've played DooM for hours and hours, and I have improved, but I'm nowhere near DooM God skill (I'm not trying to be either, I might add, I just play for my own amusement ;D). I can pull off about 10-40%+ times of the COMPET-N times consistently depending on the type of level and demo, on lower skill levels I can sometimes match the COMPET-N times. To me, what you guys sometimes are able to pull off is nothing short of magic.

Vile: YES, believe me, I find almost all the COMPET-N demos are very enjoyable to watch, just like in chess where it's interesting to watch a good GM game... :-)

And finally I agree with Angus, Sedlo's .txt files are a hoot :-D
Last edited by Kristian Ronge on 19.04.2003 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
"One should never confuse the unlikely with the impossible."
-- John Dickson Carr
AltimaMantoid
player

My two cents

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Well....I guess I have to post my opinion here, being the Most Improved Player of the Year ;) :P :D

Here are a few of my first demos, I dug around my small HD demo archive to find these, you can watch them and gasp at my extreme keyboarding suckage! :D

ev311029, es31-352, pr01-602, pr03-529, and any of my other earliest entries. They're slow, and they SUCK!

Compare it with some of my recent demos: pn29-117, av08-204, mm04-255, he28-516 and others, you'll notice that I've greatly increased my skill.  8)

This was only 14 months of work, people =) Just keep at it, and keep practicing, and studying demos. In my opinion, anyone can be a good Doom player, you just have to focus and dedicate yourself to practice and hard work ^_^
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
ranx on line
from hell

Post by ranx on line »

well, here's what my mentor told me once

"(...) disable the vertical axis then try to speedrun through lv24. When you get under 50 secs (or under 40 :), you can start ruling the DANG or getting a few COMPET-N points. :)"

's that simple see? ;)

oh, and remember another rule: less good players have lower standards and thus enjoy a higher amount of demos
(if you understood this, get a medal)

more tips next time
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

hmmm...I think you can appreciate some good demos more if you're at least a decent player, and understand what's involved.
--
adamw
Op
from hell

Post by Op »

hmmm...I think you can appreciate some good demos more if you're at least a decent player, and understand what's involved.
I think that is true for most games that require skill... definitely true with First-person shooters.
RanXeron (mellow)
from hell

(spoiler) down down, the living end is going down

Post by RanXeron (mellow) »

well, it seems as basically you and me agree there, I guess we just look at it from a different angle - I'm a pessimist, I know (btw note that I said "less good" players)
or maybe we are simply comparing, say, circle-strafing to wall-running.. ;)

nnnnyway.. I originally wanted to put up some more tips, but I'm under the impression that this forum is somewhat more formal than those to which I'm accostumed (nothing wrong w/ that, mind), so I'll save myself & yourself the time.. maybe I'll misuse a txt-file one day however, who knows..

stay tuned & keep doomin'
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

I was thinking of something like, say, e2m5 - doesn't look that impressive to someone who's not played it, I mean, all he does is run straight through the level, it's easy right?! :)
--
adamw
ran-Xeviousucksbtw
from hell

subject

Post by ran-Xeviousucksbtw »

.. as long as he's blessed w/ the patience to spend 12+ hours straight on a demo just to get a three-tics improvement, it is indeed easy ;)

more seriously, AFAIC I dont need to finish d2 map08 tgm style to appreciate DLs effort there.. but then it's a LONG time I havent watched that demo.. and that's my point.. or should I say "was"?

either way, cya on #NM!