Savegame

Anything else!
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Savegame

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

If a game is saved using doom.exe, is there any way of playing it back with a program such as Boom (e.g. to check if there any monsters left alive in a max demo on an arch-vile level)?
xit-vono
player

Re: Savegame

Post by xit-vono »

I find your question confusing.  If you make a demo with doom/doom2.exe then that doesn't create a save file.  But you can play most doom/doom2.exe demos with prboom.  I don't know much of the properties of Prboom so I can't help you there.  What I do for max demos with an arch-vile is play the demo back and use iddt, that way if there's any monsters left they will be floating around and you can see them.  Unfortunately if there's some lost souls left too it can be a problem.  Send those kind of demos to Adam Hegyi and he will check it for you :)
AltimaMantoid
player

Hmm...

Post by AltimaMantoid »

I don't know what would happen if you saved the game while recording and went to play it back....that's a good question I can't answer.

And to answer Xit Vono about monsters...have you ever heard of timer.exe ? ;)
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
xit-vono
player

Post by xit-vono »

yes, but timer.exe sometimes desyncs, especially on maps with Pain Elementals or demos recorded with Final Doom's exe.
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

What I meant was:
Adding a SG tic to the LMPC txt file of a demo
Converting it back to demo form
Playing the demo with doom(2).exe (to create the saved file)

I want to know if it would now be possible to open the saved file with Boom.
cph
noob

Post by cph »

What I meant was:
Adding a SG tic to the LMPC txt file of a demo
Converting it back to demo form
Playing the demo with doom(2).exe (to create the saved file)

I want to know if it would now be possible to open the saved file with Boom.
Boom etc can't load old savegames. Perhaps if you insert a save game tic, then play it back with Boom or MBF, so you get a boom/mbf savegame, it could work.

Couldn't MBF save a game using the menu while playing back a demo? PrBoom 2.3.0 (in development) can (neat, you just save, then reload and you're in control), 2.2.x cannot unfortunately.
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

But programs like Boom often de-sync when playing back demos, so it is not always possible to play the demo back with Boom.
Paul_Gilbert
noob

Post by Paul_Gilbert »

Another question: How exactly should I set the TASMBF configurations to make it Doom (2) compatible?