Alien Vendetta

They are just as good as the originals :)
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Alien Vendetta

Post by Andy Johnsen »

I've decided to releas a final version of AV. The past year some minor and more serious bugs have been reported (especially by Amarande, thnx). So, basically if theres anything any of you noticed, this would be a good time to tell.

Known bugs:

-Misc texture fuckups in map06 (don't look at me Anthony, uhm :)
-Map 12 have a false exit after blue door (woulda been handy for speedruns, hehe)
-Map 27 redkey is useless (ehem..don't ask)
-Missing torch in map23
-A few missing lower-textures in map11
-Extra outdated exit line trigger in map20 (cant be reached but whatever)
-Stuck monsters in map20
-Missing torch in map20 (this one is just killing Mutator)
-Possible to get stuck in a map22 bookcase secret (bad one, needless to say)
-It possible to archi-jump through a window in map27 and get stuck.
-Menu graphics are messed up when running ports

If theres slight gameplay adjustmente tips, I'd be interested in that too. A few of the current demopack records will desync with the new version, but if theres a chanse AV will make it into compet-N, I'd want it to be as bugfree as possible. In any case I'd sleep better having removed them.
admin
nightmare

Re: Alien Vendetta

Post by admin »

We'll talk in IRC.
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

The Classic Episode version 2.0 was never recieved so well  ;D

Could you elaborate on what scale of changes your (not) looking to make? You say "slight gameplay adjustments". For example would cutting out some spectres in the map04 blue key area be considered too drastic? I'm just trying to determine how detailed the list should be.  ;)

Moreso, do you plan to give the original authors a chance to re-edit the maps themselves if they choose? On the drastic end, but, any chance you would completely replace a map. You see, I got this map from Lee, and ...  ;D  :)  ;D

Sure, just when I completed my 01AV5419.  :P
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

Basically anything that comes to mind Fish, like yeah...I'd like to remove a spectre or two from the last garden in map03. Architectural changes I'm more skeptic about, but if theres a good reason why something should change, sure.

you serious about that map or its just some evil joke? :P If it was a Lee/fish co-production I'd make room. Theres always crap to get rid of, I could think of at least one AV map I'd like to kick out given a chanse.

On another note, Adam H made my day yesterday telling AV will be accepted in compet-N given a new version or not. I'd like to have this update done within november the 10th too, removing the current bugs is done in notime...
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

December the 10th ;D ;D
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

yes...well, I'm happy knowing what year we are in.  ;D
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

Damn, why did I say map04. I meant map03.  ??? Anyways, "a spectre or two" wouldn't change the impact. Maybe 4 spectres (one per teleport). Anymore might be too impacting. Depends how many total there are.

We'll talk about the rest in IRC...hopefully I can catch you in the next day or two.
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

Just had an interesting discussion with Anthony on irc, and it seems theres a posiblity of getting a very neat mapreplacement in AV. Question now would be what map is expendable? I have some ideas myselfe, but it would be greatly apriciated to get some opinions on this.
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

Andy: I don't know if you knew about this, but I didn't see it in the list of bugs/changes, so I was going to mention the yellow key on map23 not being required to open those gates.

As for expendable maps.. ouch, that's a tough one.
Last edited by Vile on 15.11.2002 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
AdamW
player

Post by AdamW »

Don't even THINK of getting rid of the one I have the demopack run for. =)
--
adamw
The_Fish
noob

Post by The_Fish »

Don't even THINK of getting rid of the one I have the demopack run for. =)
So memorable in fact that you can't remember the map # or name.  ;)
Vile
player

Post by Vile »

True.
Last edited by Vile on 15.11.2002 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
The Doomer
from hell

Post by The Doomer »

On another note, Adam H made my day yesterday telling AV will be accepted in compet-N given a new version or not. I'd like to have this update done within november the 10th too, removing the current bugs is done in notime...
December the 10th is over, we have a new C-N update, but no news about AV. Will it be part of C-N? And when?
admin
nightmare

Post by admin »

The Doomer: This is Andy's and Fish's work, I am just merely observing. Fish told they wouldn't get ready for the 10th, so I'll wait. There's no need to hurry them and get any possible faults in the release. I hope they'll finish soon.
Anders Johnsen
from hell

Post by Anders Johnsen »

doomer: We decided to remove the least playable and worst looking map in AV, its being replaced by a new map by Anthony Soto and Lee Szymanski. Unfortunately it was impossible to finish it up before the 10th because of busy times for the authors. Its looking great and nears completion tho, so it won't take long before we can wrap up the new version and releas. Most likely I'll postspond releas to the 24th since its getting close anyway, and would mark AV's 1 year anniversary :)
The Doomer
from hell

Post by The Doomer »

A new Soto/Szymanski map? Ah, great idea! I love Hillside Siege, it's one of my favourite maps ever ;D
Am I right, that map21 will be replaced? It's a very disappointing thing after the great/grand masterpiece Mishri Halek. The best of Caco's Nest is its name
AltimaMantoid
player

Yay!

Post by AltimaMantoid »

My thoughts:

"Mishri Halek" is the best looking map, by far, and also my favorite! But I also like "One Flew Over the Caco's Nest"

Once AV is finished and out with the Final Release, and is adopted into the COMPET-N...then I guess I can start work on some -respawn demos for it ;)
"The Man with the Golden BFG"
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

Doomer: Map25 valley of echoes is the one being replaced. It had little to no replay value and architecturally it stunk after the first canyon. Personally I like map21, I've heard others thinking its too simplistic as well, there seems to be either a love/hate thing, heh. Reminds me of udoom ep3, tho it could have gained from some hight differences, slightly different texturing in parts and more attention to light level differences. Pablo want it to stay as it is tho. OTOH I think any map comming after 20 would suffer from the comparison
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

21 is just a change of pace... it is a fine map.
The Doomer
from hell

Post by The Doomer »

Map 25: I like it very much, it is very impressive, nice music. But I think I can agree about the replay value. I have never made it with HMP or UV, but I have watched stx-vile's maxdemo several times  ;D
I wonder if there would be many map 25 demos.

Map 21 is not bad, there is no bad AV map. It's an outstanding wad, perhaps better than Plutonia and therefore the best  ;)
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

wow...thanks doomer, glad to hear you enjoy it that much. Better than plutonia tho? naah..common...can't touch the MW king  ;)

I can assure the new map replacing 25 will be worth it. We all know what Fish and Lee means I suppose? :) A few other maps will be touched up as well. the dark maze area in av15 is gone for instance (sucked for demos...hard to navigate and boring).
The Doomer
from hell

Post by The Doomer »

Andy, it would be very nice, if you release Valley of Echoes as a single wad too. It's a great map we should not forget.

To the 'best megawad' point: I really do not know which is better. They are very different in playing: the unique styled Plutonia with its compact, action packed maps, and AV with its extreme variety in style, some maps compact as Plutonia or Doom2 (Hillside Siege :) ), plus these fascinating castle-levels and real explorations.

It's not only me who like AV so much. I know several people who think it could stand as an official Doom release ... and five years ago ... who knows ...
Opulent
player

Post by Opulent »

It goes without saying that AV is one of the few releases that is clearly better than the Iwads. (although KneedeepITD has a special quality that cannot be recaptured, IMO)
AV might have more jawdropper levels than any other release. Who knew Anders was as awesome a wadauthor as he is a player?
Oh, and I'll never give up AV-version1 on the DSDA.  some of the best demos in 2002 were on there.  :)
Andy_Olivera
noob

Post by Andy_Olivera »

Better than Plutonia? Hell yeah! I like to think of it as an extremely violent version of Eternal...;D

BTW, before you release the next version, run all the levels through DSHRINK(a Sidedef packer). It'll remove a couple megabytes off the total filesize...
The Doomer
from hell

Post by The Doomer »

Wow, Andy! Good work  :)
The new map is superb. I got this great Hillside Siege feeling immediately.
But the biggest surprise are the new Map 3 parts. I love this skyline, a real eye-catcher  ;D

I hope Adam is satisfied too ... and we have a lot of AV demos to watch soon.

Thx for this christmas present
The Doomer
AltimaMantoid
player

Mhmm

Post by AltimaMantoid »

Yeah, the new map on AV rocks! ^_^
Angus_Thermopyle
noob

Post by Angus_Thermopyle »

map03: is the Sedlo-room new?  ;)
Andy Johnsen
from hell

Post by Andy Johnsen »

thanks The Doomer =)

Angus_Thermopyle: guess so :P complete with a typo and all just to keep the norwegian trend. *smacks mutator*
AltimaMantoid
player

Heheh

Post by AltimaMantoid »

What about the secrets with the new Lee/Anthony map? ;) I noticed something....go find it, I'm not sayin' where! =P
Szymanski
noob

Re:Mhmm

Post by Szymanski »

Yeah, the new map on AV rocks! ^_^
correct