Choco, PrBoom+ and TAS

COMPET-N chit chat

Choco, PrBoom+ and TAS

Postby fx » 02.09.2013 21:15

Yes, you are right, soon we will accept demos recorded with Chocolate, PrBoom+ and TAS as long as they are 100% compatible with Vanilla Doom. Demos will be added to same database as COMPET-N and they will not be awarded with any points, they will be listed only when you click on map to list all demos on one map. Example: Memento Mori, Max, MAP03.
If this will not satisfy PrBoom+ players, nothing will.

- submit ONLY Vanilla compatible demos
- players will need to register on forum to submit demos, adjust settings, etc...
- I will NOT check those demos at all, if someone reports anything I'll remove/edit and that's all
- demos will not appear in Incoming at all, but email notification will be sent for each new demo in database
- so, yes you can submit demos and they will appear immediately in database, no matter how old or slow, as long as someone else does not submit your time ;)
- there is possibility to add highscore for all non Vanilla demos but first things first

ps. this is still under heavy work but I'm expecting it will be ready soon, upload works so only some database changes to show game client will be needed

New upload script

update: database is ready now, but feel free to report errors, I've uploaded one PrBoom MM MAP03 max demo from Vladimir Monakhov and Doom 2 Nightmare MAP21 from hokis.

Only thing that bugs me is demo location, right now it is
compet-n/iwad/category/prboom
or
compet-n/iwad/category/tas
or
compet-n/iwad/category/chocolate

If you have better suggestion feel free to say now before it's too late.
fx
nightmare

Re: Choco, PrBoom+ and TAS

Postby kunkun » 03.09.2013 09:54

I can't download either Vladimirs or hokis's demos from the database. "This file has been renamed, erased or does not exist at all."
kunkun
noob

Postby fx » 03.09.2013 12:29

heh, download protection, forgot that, will fix it later, wonder if comments work, they should :)
fx
nightmare

Postby kunkun » 03.09.2013 18:16

So how does this relate to cndoom and such? Also, I hope this change has nothing to do with the discussion we didn't have time for few days ago :P
kunkun
noob

Postby fx » 03.09.2013 19:14

It's not related to Competition Doom at all, screenshot is a bit wrong, when you select CNDOOM you cannot upload prboom, tas, etc. Only when COMPET-N is selected. Competition Doom is *close* to be released, but I can't fix two stupid things and I don't want to release it like that. I'm currently trying to hire a developer to fix it for me.

ps. fixed the download link, comments work but download link is broken too there... going to fix it asap
fx
nightmare

Postby fx » 05.09.2013 14:30

Ok, everything should work now: http://www.doom.com.hr/upload.php

Port demos are marked with different colors when you see player and all demos he owns. I still have to modify database statistics to reflect new changes. If this was a bad decision it's not a problem to revert it or do whatever we decide to. I see this as a good thing, to bring more players so they might even try to do vanilla demo. Even one legit demo is good thing :P

ps. if even one active player dislike this I'd like him to PM me with details or email me. I'm ready to turn this off if there is a good reason.
fx
nightmare

Postby TimeOfDeath » 06.09.2013 03:52

I like this idea, thanks. I uploaded some demos, but got an error when uploading some misc prboom+ demos for AV (max/reality demos).

Code: Select all
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/clients/client1/web47/web/upload.php on line 118: move_uploaded_file(./public/compet-n/pwads/av/misc/prboom/av02-315.zip): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /var/www/clients/client1/web47/web/upload.php on line 118: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move '/var/www/clients/client1/web47/tmp/phpLdP9ae' to './public/compet-n/pwads/av/misc/prboom/av02-315.zip'
ERROR: av02-315.zip REASON: General upload failure.
TimeOfDeath
noob

Postby Tatsurd-cacocaco » 06.09.2013 04:49

fx wrote:- so, yes you can submit demos and they will appear immediately in database, no matter how old or slow, as long as someone else does not submit your time ;)

I thought an unofficial record which means a demo recorded in a source port is faster than C-N record also would be accepted in C-N. Do you actually accept an old or slow demo? It doesn't make sense. DSDA aims to archive all demos, including an old and slow demo. This decision of C-N means C-N has the same role as DSDA. It is unnecessary to has the same role in two sites. There is one valid point at least if C-N archives unofficial record because C-N is a competition site, though I object to archiving Prboom demos.

I explained why I personally oppose it in doomworld, so I just don't write it again. C-N should exist for competition with strict rules.
Tatsurd-cacocaco
noob

Postby fx » 06.09.2013 08:51

iI know what you mean and why, you are not the only one that objects so I'll move those record to new cndoom database, my point is to get more people, more interest and more possibility that they will try to play vanilla. I dont want to be an archive for *.* demos, dsda accepts everything. I support only vanilla compatibile demos and I doubt people will upload old and really slow demo, but no real harm if they do. As I said, I'll move them, so Compet-n db will be clean and I can still use those records to show them in compet-n listing when hovering record with mouse as a reference that there exist faster port demo.
I'll change upload to cndoom db today if I catch some free time.

@TimeofDeath
Misc demos are not supported, only speed, nmare, nm100s, max, pacifist, tyson, respawn and episode/movie demos.
fx
nightmare

Postby TimeOfDeath » 06.09.2013 16:31

I just like that port demos are being recognized now at compet-n. CN still exists for competition and strict rules. Port demos and CN demos are separate and different, but what's wrong with showing if there's a faster port demo on a CN wad? I think the port versus vanilla battle has provided some good competition by tatsurd on AV max. Why do you want to ignore port demos on CN? If CN is going to be the official record place for CN wads, then I think showing port records is a good idea (if port record is faster than CN).

fx: ok I will upload them as max demos, but the time will look slow since they're also reality
TimeOfDeath
noob

Return to COMPET-N discussion